1970 dash screws and clips wanted

List your parts needs here! Please include your location and contact information.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

1970 dash screws and clips wanted

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 24 Apr 2018, 16:52

Hey fellas,

My 70 Cougar dash pad and dash trim pieces are missing several clips and various screws. Does anyone out there have various miscellaneous extras - or a complete set - that I could purchase to make my dash and trim complete?

Passenger side – there are 3 clips and screws above the glove box that connect the bottom of the dash pad to the top of the metal lower dash. I’m missing 2 screws and 1 clip.
Radio retainer screws – mine are mismatched, so I have no idea which (if either) is correct, LOL!
Dash pad – far left screw is wrong.
Steering column trim screws – 2 are obviously “hardware store” replacements.
Probably some others in the mix that aren't right, or aren't where they were supposed to be >.<

Here is a pic of what all I pulled out of the dash...
Dash Trim Screws.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: 1970 dash screws and clips wanted

Post by CATHOUSE » 24 Apr 2018, 19:47

I have a 7 foot tall cabinet full of nothing but hardware removed from parting out Cougars. I should have everything you need here. Just let me know.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 25 Apr 2018, 00:40

CATHOUSE wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 19:47
I have a 7 foot tall cabinet full of nothing but hardware removed from parting out Cougars. I should have everything you need here. Just let me know.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Thanks Randy,

The hard part is that I don't know what's right, so I'm not exactly sure what I need. I did do some digging around in my "car screws" bin of stuff that I found in the trunk and under the carpet - and I actually found a screw that I needed, LOL! It was like a puzzle ~ I have all these mismatched screws, but that one let me shuffle them around and fill in a few spots with screws that match and seem to make sense.

So this is where I'm at now...
Dash Trim Screws_4-24.JPG
A) These came from the trim on the driver's side above the steering wheel. I don't know what the right screws should be, but I'm pretty sure that what I have is not right.

B) This would be the screws that hold the big tabs on the ends of the dash pad and connect it onto the lower dash. Not sure what should be used, but I'm pretty sure that what I have is not right.

C) These go in the sides of the trim pieces that go on the ends of the dash assembly, next to the doors. My screws are mismatched - the passenger side seems like it would be right (black 3/4" oval head Phillips). The driver's side screw is also a black oval head Phillips, but is 1" long. It would work fine, but it messes with my brain knowing they are different lengths >.<

d) There are spots for 3 screws above the glove box to hold the dash pad onto the lower dash. I am missing 1 of the metal clips (pic below), and 2 of the small, black 1/2" pan head Phillips screws that screw into these clips.
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_9800.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

ccarney69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ccarney69 » 25 Apr 2018, 07:15

I took pictures of my 69 Dash, wiring etc as I took it apart and restored it a couple of months ago. I should be able to help you out with some information on what you need and I have a lot of these parts too including those little clips that you just showed. So I’ll keep an eye on this thread and whatever help I can give you I will. Any of my extra clips or pieces that you may need you’re welcome to.
1968 GT-E 427 Standard Nordic Blue/Black Décor, driver
1969 XR7 R Code 4 Speed Yellow/Black Top Black Interior, current project no.1
1969 XR7 Q Code C6 Green/Black Top Dark Ivy Green Interior, current project no. 2
CCOA #8275
MACC

Trixie
Registered Member

Post by Trixie » 25 Apr 2018, 09:16

Me too! I consider my memory to be pretty good, but after having the dash out of my '69 for a long time,
I can't recall exactly the proper hardware as well. The MPC does not show the hardware used for the dash trim pieces.
So, if anyone has good pictures or knows for sure what goes where, it would certainly be appreciated!
Dave & SuAnn Harty
1969 351W-4V XR-7 Convertible
Proudly Owned Since 1980
CCOA Member #9129
MACC Member
IMOA Member #7330
Our Cougars, Past & Present-
1969 XR7 2DR Convertible 351W-4V, 1968 XR7 2DRHardtop 302-4V, 1969 2DR Standard 351W-2V, 1969 XR7 2DR Hardtop 428-4V Cobra Jet Ram Air, 1970 XR7 2DR Hardtop 351W-2V
Believe who you wish to believe & what you choose to believe. I can only offer my advice.

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 26 Apr 2018, 21:16

I'll do some digging in the parts cabinet tomorrow for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 27 Apr 2018, 00:28

CATHOUSE wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 21:16
I'll do some digging in the parts cabinet tomorrow for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Thanks Randy :-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 30 Apr 2018, 14:56

Hi Randy,

I got some help on what screws I need. From what I've been told...

A) screws should be replaced by the two in the center above the X's.

B) screws are supposed to be the big silver screws that I have, and two of those should go to replace the two in the center. Oddly enough, I have found 4 of those big silver screws while cleaning out the car in the past. Coincidence?

d) I've been told that these two screws are also black pan-head, but they should be slightly longer than the one in the center. So probably 3/4" (center one is 1/2").

This brings up another question - the three screws that go in the top center of the dash pad. Are they supposed to all be the same length? My center one was shorter by 1/4". I thought that meant it was the wrong screw, since I found one in the car that did match the other two. But now I'm second guessing myself.

So far it seems that I am looking for;

2 black pan head 3/4" screws
1 clip for passenger side dash (see dash clip pic above)
1 black oval head 3/4" screw

Tonight I will check the depth of the dash clips to make sure they will accept a 3/4" pan head, and that the longer top center dash pad screw will fit as well (would hate to go to the trouble of getting screws only to find they don't fit!). I'll also verify that those big silver screws will fit where I've been told they should go.
Dash Trim Screws_4-30.JPG
*For anyone else following along, it seems that the two X's in the middle should be black pan head 3/4" screws ~ they have to be longer than the 1/2" screws as they go through several trim pieces and the upper radio mount holes. 1/2" just won't cut it.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 30 Apr 2018, 20:47

It has been a while since I took a 69-70 apart. My thinking though is that all 3 of the screws going across the top of the dash pad would be the same size. It just does not sound right to me that they would make 1 screw a 1/4 inch shorter and expect the line workers to keep that straight as to making sure the shorter screw went in the correct spot.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 01 May 2018, 12:13

CATHOUSE wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:47
It has been a while since I took a 69-70 apart. My thinking though is that all 3 of the screws going across the top of the dash pad would be the same size. It just does not sound right to me that they would make 1 screw a 1/4 inch shorter and expect the line workers to keep that straight as to making sure the shorter screw went in the correct spot.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Thanks Randy, that's what I thought too. I ended up finding a long one to match the other two, which bumped the shorter one down to mate up with it's match, which gave me a pair of 3/4" to go into the top of the radio trim.

Any insights on the big silver screws? I was told they are right, for mounting the tabs on the dash pad onto the lower dash. Just looking for confirmation since they seem so out of place among the other trim screws.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!