Looking for Opinions on this one...

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Looking for Opinions on this one...

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 05 Nov 2012, 11:41

Link to pics; http://imageshack.us/g/1/9851384/

It runs and drives, and suspension & brakes were done 5 or so years ago.

Let me know what you guys think.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: Looking for Opinions on this one...

Post by Don Rush » 05 Nov 2012, 12:19

What's not to like? Dag pak 4spd Ca car! Price is the only deciding factor for me... Worth about $45k in my book. Finished it could be worth $125k

SeaninSD
Registered Member

Post by SeaninSD » 05 Nov 2012, 13:33

Don. What would you value a 70' Eliminator Boss 302 4:30 project with bodywork completed and in primer. Car has original block, intake, carb, valve covers, rev limiter, missing heads. Sorry can't give much information because the owner hasn't told me much. Any ideas?

Sean
1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ Grabber Green
1970 Mustang Boss 302 Bright Gold Metallic

Looking for a 1970 Eliminator 428 CJ or Boss 302

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 05 Nov 2012, 17:30

Thanks Don, that is about what I was thinking too as far as value. A nearly identical car sold in 2009 for $50k-ish on eBay. It didnt' have the body issues, but it had a correct replacement engine.

This one is an original owner car. Sold in Oakland and still lives there today. I'm supposed to go check it out in person this friday / saturday.

It was rear ended long ago and "they replaced both rear quarters". I'm guessing the hit was hard enough to wrinkle up the pillars around the back windows, thus the putty flaking off there.

So my main concern is identifying that it actually IS a SCJ engine in the car. Without the correct engine the price becomes an issue, for me.

It looks to me like the distributor vac advance has been painted, and the secondary line is capped. Not sure why that would be done. Makes me wonder if the distributor has been replaced. Or given Tinman's comment on the air cleaner base, I'd guess the carb is not original.

Car has had headers added, and it looks like they cut a notch in the passenger shock tower (maybe drivers side too, no pic tho). The pic looks like there are scratches in that shock tower, but I don’t think they are cracks. Although there appears to be quite a gap between the shock tower and the reinforcement.

Drivers side floor pan looks a bit crusty, which makes me wonder about a leaking cowl.
Looks like there is also a puncture hole in the bottom of the rocker.

Seller says he couldn’t find the VIN stamp on the block, but the date code is 9H28 ~ which I believe is Aug 28, 1969. Build date on the car is Oct 6th, 1969, so I don’t think that date is out of line with production, but I could be wrong.

It runs and drives, so I guess worst case I could get MAACO to paint over the big open spots so they don’t rust out (my BIGGEST post-purchase worry, being here in rainy Oregon). Then cruise and enjoy it until restoration money is saved up.

To me it looks like about $15k in body, paint and replacement of various missing bits to have a nice, moderately correct driver / cruiser.

It is priced at THE LIMIT for my budget, and about half of the prices we've mentioned above or I couldn't even consider it. I can either buy it or fix it, but not both at the same time. It will have to wait a while for the serious fixin.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

R Code
Registered Member

Post by R Code » 05 Nov 2012, 18:14

Mike_B_SVT wrote:...It is priced at THE LIMIT for my budget, and about half of the prices we've mentioned above or I couldn't even consider it. I can either buy it or fix it, but not both at the same time. It will have to wait a while for the serious fixin.
Just having the car is half the battle, so your strategy is a good one. It has loads of character, and probably a ton of stories.

I bought my 'vert back in '86 under the same premise...
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible

RUNnWYLD
Registered Member

Post by RUNnWYLD » 05 Nov 2012, 18:22

i'd pounce on that one! not many like that out there. i would be worried about the body damage though.

1971 Cougar XR7 351c 2V Bone Stock

View my album in the CCC Gallery.

428Eliminator
Registered Member

Post by 428Eliminator » 05 Nov 2012, 20:49

Just some observations and comments,
I own a 428 CJ 4 speed Eliminator produced around the same time frame as this car, the VIN on mine is stamped on the back of L.H. Driver Side Cylinder Head.
Jack Schroll @ Mostly Mustangs should be able to point out the SCJ Crankshaft "Hatchet" behind the harmonic balancer to you; he's been around Mustangs and Cougars for a few 24hrs so he should know what and where it is.
Check the number on the Air Horn of the Carb. $1,000.00 plus dollars to replace.
Check the Numbers on the Distributor, again close to $1,000.00 for an original dual point.
Missing: the smog pump, brackets and thermactor tubes. Again $1,000.00
Missing: Exhaust Manifolds, Heat Shield, S-Tube $1,500,00+
Fuel pump is auto parts Generic replacement, correct Carter pump guessing around $250.00
The floor pan rust as you mentioned is little heavier than I'd expect to see for a West Coast Car but cars left with windows down in rain etc or cowl leaks can cause that, or the College decal in the rear window might indicate that it spent some time elsewhere besides CA .
I'd really dig into the rear body repair and make sure it hasn't been "clipped" at a quick glance make sure it has staggered rear shocks.
Just keep in mind that a lot fewer 428 CJ/SCJ Mustangs and Cougars were built in 70 versus 69 so parts are rarer and more $$
Nice color combination and options on that car!
Do your Homework here:http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-main
Good Luck!!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 05 Nov 2012, 22:30

Thanks for reminding me about the crank counterweight. I've been on the 428CJ site all week, but that one slipped my mind.

Pics show staggered shocks. What I can see of the rear frame rails look ok. One of the pics shows the drivers side / rear mounted shock.
I'm not sure, but it looks ok to me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 06 Nov 2012, 10:08

Mike, If I wasn't stuck with two houses right now this car would be sold. So that will tell you how I feel about it. Jump on it. I would clean it up, spot repai the body issues, and drive the crap out of it. These original cars are very few and far between. You will not lose money with this one (unless AHBL). Go for it, don't look back, and we will all be talking about how you stole it!
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 06 Nov 2012, 10:46

That's the plan :-)

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!