Dipsticks...yes, Dipsticks

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Dipsticks...yes, Dipsticks

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 11:33

Hey Fellahs,

Got my car on sunday and I'm diving right in and taking care of tune-up basics so it will be road worthy. Oh, and so it won't leave me sitting on the side of the road again (more on that later).

So I checked the oil like a good boy ~ oh man, down below the "add 1" line! While researching what oil to use in the ol' Cat and I found the FE dipstick TSB. Cool! So I check the part number on my dipstick ...and learn that somewhere along the line my car has acquired a Boss302 Dipstick (D0ZE-6750-C)!

My current plan is to change the oil & filter and then see where the oil is sitting on the dipstick and make a mental note of where "normal" is. But by any chance, would anyone be able to provide a comparison between the 428CJ dipstick and the Boss302 dipstick?

Thanks in advance!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

2BadCats
Registered Member

Re: Dipsticks...yes, Dipsticks

Post by 2BadCats » 26 Dec 2012, 14:54

Who ya callin a.....o wait ;>) never mind!

Odd - is it that you have a switcheroo'd one, or are they the same length I wonder? Don't have a Boss - but I wish I could confirm that! LOL

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 26 Dec 2012, 17:55

I have a 1969 CJ. My dipstick is stamped C7OE-6750-A. It is 19.5" long from the tip to the bottom of the collar that fits over the tube. Add .5" for the overlap under the collar. From the bottom tip, it is marked "Add 2" with the upper line at 7/8"; "Add 1" with upper line at 1 3/4"; "Safe" with upper line at 2 5/8". The tube is a little short of 9" from block to top of tube.

What is the TSB you refer to? Can you give me the number or scan it? I have TSB's for 1969, so if its in there just give me the number.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 19:14

Hello MrEos, thanks for the dipstick measurements! I"ll have to whip mine out and see how it measures up >.>

Here are some links regarding the 428 dipstick info;

http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-service-parts
- bottom of the page it mentions TSB #2322. That link leads here...

http://www.428cobrajet.org/sites/defaul ... levels.jpg

I also found a nice link about the FE oil pans and dipsticks here;
http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm

Can I ask what oil you use in your CJ? I've read what weights are recommended, but there is the whole ZDDP / zinc additive factor, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to go with yet.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 26 Dec 2012, 19:47

Very interesting, Mike. I'll need to study that stuff a little. I'm pretty sure I have an original size oil pan. I do have a windage tray, so I should be okay adding the extra oil. 7 quarts seems like an awful lot, though.

I use Brad Penn 10W40. It has the zddp stuff. I'm not an expert in this area though, and you'll start a spirited discussion if you start asking what the best oil is. The Brad Penn gets mentioned regularly in such discussions, so that's what I decided to use.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 21:22

I took some measurements and got 20 1/4" (20.25") from tip to bottom edge of the cup/collar. The FULL line is right at 3 1/2 (3.5") from the tip, which is 17" from the edge of the cup/collar.

So if I'm thinking it out correctly, then the FULL line on mine (D0ZE-6750-C) will closely match the SAFE line on yours (C7OE-6750-A) if measured from the bottom edge of the collar. - I'm basically subtracting the 3/4" difference between the two, and judging from the pics here: http://www.428cobrajet.org/sites/defaul ... sticks.jpg

The scary part is that would put my current oil level down around the ADD 2 on the C7OE version, which makes it more like ADD 3 or 4 on the TSB's D0OE dipstick!

Thanks for all your help MrEos!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

OldWood
Registered Member

Post by OldWood » 27 Dec 2012, 08:01

Hello Mike,
I replied over at that other site,lol. Like Mr Eos said and youve read the zddp and or the zinc is the important part for these old engines. That and a good oil filter. You cant go wrong with Wix and Napa gold is made by them.
1968 XR7 428CJ
1969 Vert 351 W
1971 Ranchero Country Squire 351 C 4bbl
1972 Norton 750 Combat
1995 Bronco
1996 F250

catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by catlover » 27 Dec 2012, 08:35

Mike, I have both dipsticks in front of me, the boss is 5/8 in. longer, but when the oil is at the correct level on the boss stick, the oil will be on the L of the FULL mark, and the add 1 will be on the the D of ADD. The oil you use doesn't matter as long as it is a good grade of 10W 30W, you can throw in a can of ZDDP for a little insurance if it makes you feel better.
If you need the correct dipstick and tube, check here http://www.carlsfordparts.com/main.html
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over
67 Cougar restomod
68 GTE
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 29 Dec 2012, 21:46

Well, after adding 8 quarts of oil and about 1/2 quart of ZDDP my dipstick shows the oil level at the Y in warranty.

Thanks for all the help and information fellahs, I greatly appreciate it.

Happy New Year!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!