428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 11:18

Hey Fellahs,

I'm technically competent / able to turn a wrench correctly, but lacking in experience. Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

My 428SCJ Eliminator finally made it into my garage (more on that later). I did pick up a set of 1970 Ford manuals (5 book set), so it has given me the basic answers, but I'm running into "oddities" expected on a 43yo car thats been fiddled with over the years.

1) Spark Plugs: BSF42C are installed, which I understand is appropriate. I'm finding the gaps are all at about 0.030" (tighter than the 0.035" spec in the book).

- The heads have received hardened valve seats, and the pistons were changed to lower the compression for modern gas. Would this require the tighter plug gaps?

- There is also quite a bit of oily build up around the plug holes and of course on the plugs themselves. This doesn't seem normal to me, but I'm new to this. I'm going through and cleaning all the gunk off as I go. Any issues I should be checking on this?

2) Oil Pan: my factory oil pan is pretty dented in on the bottom side.

- Is it at all feasible to pull the pan and gently masage it back into some semblance of a pan shape? Or just don't worry about it?

- If I do pull the pan, will I be required to replace the pan gasket, or are they generally reusable if treated gently?

Thanks in advance fellahs!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Re: 428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

Post by Al Bundy » 26 Dec 2012, 11:22

Mike_B_SVT wrote:

- Is it at all feasible to pull the pan and gently masage it back into some semblance of a pan shape? Or just don't worry about it?

- If I do pull the pan, will I be required to replace the pan gasket, or are they generally reusable if treated gently?

Thanks in advance fellahs!
- Key words "gently massage". You don't want to distort the rim.

- Why? Gaskets are cheap. Use a new one.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

cougarshaman
Registered Member

Post by cougarshaman » 26 Dec 2012, 11:30

1. Do you still have the stock point ignition?
2. Some oily residue is normal.
3. Buy a new pan. Yes, you can beat it back out, but it's super easy to tweak the sealing surface when you start working on it. Measure the oil pickup to ensure it hasn't been bent or cracked by the bumps that dented the pan. For pete's sake, buy new gaskets.
Andy White- 70 standard since 1987 (Hit by a tree on the cowl, but on the mend) :wall:

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 11:45

Thanks fellahs, I'm just trying to be "frugal" to minimize wife-agro. Maybe TOO frugal? LOL!

Yes, stock dual points ignition - 4 speed car.

What should the measurements on the oil pickup be? Or is that in the maintenance manuals somewhere?

Thanks,
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

428Eliminator
Registered Member

Post by 428Eliminator » 26 Dec 2012, 20:05

Glad you got it home!
I've had decent luck beating some dents out of oil pans, however if it's got a sharp crease be careful because it can split.
Keep in mind that the 428CJ, SCJ used two sets of oil pan gaskets because of the factory windage tray that is sandwiched between the block and the pan.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Dec 2012, 21:05

Thanks for the tip on the 2 gaskets. I took a closer look at my oil pan and I think it isn't as dented up as I initially thought, or made it out to be. It looks more like contouring around the area of the drain plug, as well as normal dings that its picked up along the way. Either way, it should be ok for now. I figure I'll eventually pull it just so I can get a good look up inside, as well as check out the oil pickup.

I also did some more reading up on plug gaps, and it seems like they probably gapped them tight after the rebuild just to be conservative and maybe so that it would stay in tune longer(?). I get the impression that if you have a "robust" electrical system that you can go with wider gaps to get better spark / fuel burn. Seeing how mine is still sporting the original alternator, coil and voltage regulator... I'm not sure just how much gap it can withstand after 40+ years!
I think I'll probably leave them at 0.030 for now and get it up and running. I can always go back and widen them later, but leaving it in a "known good condition" is probably safest for now.

Thanks everyone!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

cougarshaman
Registered Member

Post by cougarshaman » 27 Dec 2012, 15:39

"still sporting the original alternator, coil and voltage regulator... "

Wow. That's impressive. Good luck with it!
Andy White- 70 standard since 1987 (Hit by a tree on the cowl, but on the mend) :wall:

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 28 Dec 2012, 12:06

cougarshaman wrote:"still sporting the original alternator, coil and voltage regulator... "

Wow. That's impressive. Good luck with it!
That's what I thought too! But then again, it only has 54,000 miles on it... so totally reasonable, IMO. However, I think I'm more likely to have a failure just due to thier age!

OH yeah, I pulled the valve covers yesterday. Everything looked good in there with the exception of some condensation on the rear passenger side where the PCV valve is located. Is that "normal" / expected?

I think it was probably due to not being allowed to come up to temperature and burn off the moisture over an extended period of time. It has basically been sitting / idling only for the last year or so.

Decided not to drop the oil pan. I read the proceedure and it looks like it requires a little more work than I am currently set up to handle. Given the pan isnt' as bad as I thought, I think I'll settle for an "oil flush" for now.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!