67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thread

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Don Rush
Registered Member

67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thread

Post by Don Rush » 23 Apr 2013, 18:08

Not a day goes by that someone does not call me with technical questions regarding Cougar / Shelby / Thunderbird sequential systems. Many are easy to figure out on the phone but often I deffer to Victor Yarberry in Albuquerque New Mexico. Vic is what I call a "Lifer" when it comes to Cougars. He has always had several, knows them inside out and is the guy who developed all the solid state turn signal parts we carry. He knows every inch of these systems and is the foremost leading authority on them in the world, no exaggeration... I would like this thread to be a "Sticky" and before long every known problem that can occur with these systems will have been covered here. I suggest if someone starts a new thread elsewhere we steer them here every time. So fire away with your questions! My first question (and I know the answer) why do my 1967 turn signal indication arrows on my dash only blink three times and then dimly "pulsate" after that? Is there a solid state fix coming down the pike soon?

2BadCats
Registered Member

Re: 67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thr

Post by 2BadCats » 24 Apr 2013, 06:33

What about some kind of a checklist for what to do before asking any turn signal questions - that covers all the basic stuff you need to have in place before any real trouble shooting can even begin. that should help reduce repetitive queries when you can say see post # 1 item 10.....etc. Cool idea Don, and way overdue! maybe we could all work on organizing that and perfecting it - then stickey it?

69ragtopcat
Registered Member

Post by 69ragtopcat » 24 Apr 2013, 13:45

I have tail lights turn lights,but no brake and hazard lights.new switch and all.have no power going to brake light switch,but all fuses are good,the only one that seems to have no power is the little 5amp one.dont know where to begin

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 24 Apr 2013, 13:58

A thread like this should have a direct link to -----> Victor Yarberry's Sequential Turn Signal Troubleshooting Guides

sweetair
Registered Member

Post by sweetair » 24 Apr 2013, 21:25

Where is the solid state relay located and what needs to taken apart to swap it out on a 1969 Cougar. Mine work but I do have the solid state part bought from WCCC and would mind swapping it out.
Thanks.
2013 Taurus SHO w/PP DAILY DRIVER
2008 Expedition------Family Duties
2003 Marauder supercharged, 14" Baer brake kit, MMC driveshaft and loop, widened rear rims now 9.5" (total sleeper)
1969 Cougar XR7 S code, 4 speed, convertible, 1of42. A gem!!
November 2016 ROTM- https://classiccougarcommunity.com/foru ... etair+ROTM

cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

Post by cougarsunlimited.net » 26 Apr 2013, 19:13

Don Rush asked "Why do my 1967 turn signal indication arrows on my dash only blink three times and then dimly "pulsate" after that?"

Thanks for the introduction and the question Don.

The 1967 and 1968 Cougar dash indicator lights are controlled by a 3-pin relay under the dash. This current
sensitive relay is calibrated to trigger when four 1157 lamps (three in the back and one in the front) turn on.
The initial flash is caused by the lamp inrush current. After the bulbs are hot, they don't draw sufficient
current to trigger the relay again.

With age, various problems can cause this relay to "almost" trigger:
1. Low battery charge
2. Insufficient alternator performance (i.e. the alternator can't keep up with that 1000W stereo you installed!)
The factory AC 42 amp alternator can barely keep up with simultaneous headlights, turn signals, and brake lights.
Turn the AC on, and it's overloaded!
3. Failing turn signal switch (excessive resistance through the contacts reduces the current)
4. Poor turn signal switch connector pin contacts (i.e. fried or oxidized wires at the crimp points)
5. Installation of LED lamps - they do not draw enough current to trigger the relay.
6. Indicator Relay out-of-calibration - the metal spring that holds the contacts together stiffens
with use from metal fatigue and becomes more difficult for the electromagnet to pull down.
The original factory calibration usually incorrect - NOS relays typically don't work any better!

The last problem is the most common.It is possible to recalibrate the original relays by bending
the relay contact post until the electromagnet can pull it down. The calibration depends on all
five of the issues described above - so it is tricky!

I have been developing an electronic replacement for this relay that is adjustable.
Contact me off-line at cougars_unlimited@thuntek.net if you are interested in beta-testing this new part.

cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

Post by cougarsunlimited.net » 26 Apr 2013, 19:17

sweetair wrote:Where is the solid state relay located and what needs to taken apart to swap it out on a 1969 Cougar. Mine work but I do have the solid state part bought from WCCC and would mind swapping it out.
Thanks.
The sequential control unit for a 1969-70 Cougar is located in the driver's side trunk well,
under the trunk mat. It is inside a black box hanging on a clip.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 26 Apr 2013, 19:19

sweetair wrote:Where is the solid state relay located and what needs to taken apart to swap it out on a 1969 Cougar. Mine work but I do have the solid state part bought from WCCC and would mind swapping it out.
Thanks.
Bill,

The sequential unit is in the trunk on the DS drop-off and the flasher can is in the lower dash near the radio toward the PS footwell. Emergency flasher is on the DS in about the same place.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

Post by cougarsunlimited.net » 26 Apr 2013, 19:20

69ragtopcat wrote:I have tail lights turn lights,but no brake and hazard lights.new switch and all.have no power going to brake light switch,but all fuses are good,the only one that seems to have no power is the little 5amp one.dont know where to begin
Check the circuit breaker that feeds the brake light circuit. It controls the power for both
the brakes and hazard lights.

desertdave55
Registered Member

Post by desertdave55 » 26 Apr 2013, 20:47

cougarsunlimited.net wrote:Don Rush asked "Why do my 1967 turn signal indication arrows on my dash only blink three times and then dimly "pulsate" after that?"

Thanks for the introduction and the question Don.

The 1967 and 1968 Cougar dash indicator lights are controlled by a 3-pin relay under the dash. This current
sensitive relay is calibrated to trigger when four 1157 lamps (three in the back and one in the front) turn on.
The initial flash is caused by the lamp inrush current. After the bulbs are hot, they don't draw sufficient
current to trigger the relay again.

With age, various problems can cause this relay to "almost" trigger:
1. Low battery charge
2. Insufficient alternator performance (i.e. the alternator can't keep up with that 1000W stereo you installed!)
The factory AC 42 amp alternator can barely keep up with simultaneous headlights, turn signals, and brake lights.
Turn the AC on, and it's overloaded!
3. Failing turn signal switch (excessive resistance through the contacts reduces the current)
4. Poor turn signal switch connector pin contacts (i.e. fried or oxidized wires at the crimp points)
5. Installation of LED lamps - they do not draw enough current to trigger the relay.
6. Indicator Relay out-of-calibration - the metal spring that holds the contacts together stiffens
with use from metal fatigue and becomes more difficult for the electromagnet to pull down.
The original factory calibration usually incorrect - NOS relays typically don't work any better!

The last problem is the most common.It is possible to recalibrate the original relays by bending
the relay contact post until the electromagnet can pull it down. The calibration depends on all
five of the issues described above - so it is tricky!

I have been developing an electronic replacement for this relay that is adjustable.
Contact me off-line at cougars_unlimited@thuntek.net if you are interested in beta-testing this new part.
That was a HUGE amount of info in just one reply. Wow! Welcome Mr. Yarberry, and I hope you stick around here for a very long time!