Dash indicator lights not working

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
DBO
Registered Member

Dash indicator lights not working

Post by DBO » 17 Jun 2018, 18:10

69 standard cougar. The gas gauge, temp gauge, and all of the back lights work...but none of the blinkers, hi-beam, alternator, etc., indicator lights work. Any ideas? Already replaced circuit board and voltage regulator...

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Re: Dash indicator lights not working

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 19 Jun 2018, 04:04

DBO, I don't have my 69 schematic here at work but a couple of things come to mind. There is a ground strap that goes to the cluster and gets screwed to the frame close to where the cluster is. You may want to check that. The next thing is that there is a prove out that should light up those warning lights when you crank the engine. So if your plugs to the cluster are all correct and you don't get the prove out lighting up, I'm afraid you need to get a schematic and follow it to the power source and then move towards the cluster from there.

The prove out circuit get its power from the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid but I can't remember where the power starts for the normal running of the warning lights.

I'm pretty sure I got my schematic from the WCCC web site. I know I down loaded it from somewhere, free I think.

I noticed your post has been up here a couple of days and wanted to get you some feed back.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

Midlife
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Midlife » 19 Jun 2018, 04:31

Prove out circuit doesn't get power from the S terminal but from the CRANK signal at the ignition switch. The low fuel lamp does get its power from the starter motor terminal at the starter solenoid.

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 19 Jun 2018, 05:44

Thanks Midlife, I stand corrected.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

DBO
Registered Member

Post by DBO » 19 Jun 2018, 22:58

Thank you both! Found 1 problem, looks like the previous owner installed the alarm through the crank signal...more to come.