'70 Project planning

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
SoCal70

'70 Project planning

Post by SoCal70 » 21 Jun 2018, 00:00

Hello everybody,

I've got a family car to restore... my grandfather's '70. He bought it when he retired, and he and my grandmother drove it around town (Burbank) and on family trips (mostly NorCal, but also places like Utah, Arizona, New Mexico). Last registered in 1988. It's a 351W-2V car, white with red interior. Still sitting on 3 of the four bias ply tires put on it new in '88. I had to scrub off the blue stuff from the whitewalls, and replaced the one tire that would not hold air with a spare roller.

It's been sitting a long time. I rebuilt the carb, drained/replaced oil, primed and rotated the engine manually, replaced the fuel pump, and ran it off gas from a temporary bottle to get it started, and actually drove it up and down the block a couple times. Blew out the gas line from the tank (which was empty) and put a couple gallons in the tank... and then got it to run off the tank for a bit. After I did that a couple times I noticed it was getting harder to start, and then not running on all 8. It turned out that some gunk or varnish was getting warm enough to move around but wasn't burned off - eventually some of the intake valves were effectively stuck closed with this stuff, and I bent some pushrods. Replaced those and got it started again, but heard a bit of rod knock, so I am not starting it again until I take it apart to check everything out and freshen it.

I am planning to do a fairly low budget restoration. I'd like it to look nice and be a driver, but not necessarily a show car (been there, done that). I'd like my mother and her siblings to see it and be able to drive it. So, I am planning to repaint in original white with burgundy pinstripes, redo the interior in the original burgundy vinyl, and freshen up the mechanical stuff so it's safe and reliable once again.

Currently, the body has little rust, although the passenger door skin has more external spots than anywhere else. I figure that the drains at the bottom of the door must have gotten plugged. The hood has a dent in the raised section from somebody sitting on it. The driver rear quarter has a dent from my aunt backing into something, and the bumper bending in and hitting the quarter. The driver door needs a new hinge pin. That's about it for body issues...

The interior is complete but needs everything. I am not sure what color/name/pattern the burgundy vinyl is - the paper sticker tag on the door is unreadable, so I can't decode it. The main issues I am worried about are - where to get a '70 dash rebuilt? What about a standard steering wheel? In burgundy? Seat upholstery? Burgundy headliner? Seat belts?

The other concern, obviously, is what to do with the many chromed trim pieces... cheaper to re-do what I have or replace? Nothing is in the 'good enough to just shine up and use' state, but it's all there. Replating and repainting would probably do it. What do people do here?

Eric
SoCal70

badcatt
Registered Member

Re: '70 Project planning

Post by badcatt » 21 Jun 2018, 00:45

Congratulations! Sounds like a cool project, and a great story. I would recommend West Coast Classic Cougar in Oregon for parts. Also John's Cougar central in Michigan. There are a number of us who have and sell parts. I have to look, but all I recall that I have in that Red for interior parts is maybe arm rests and the trim on the dash at the lower ends and around the radio. I will recommend getting rid of the old tires, they get degraded inside the rubber and may fall apart at a bad time. I know of a few people who have lost or damaged there old cars do to that.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 21 Jun 2018, 06:31

SoCal70, Welcome to the insanity, Congrats on the car. I was thinking the same thing as Neal on the tires. You can buy seat covers, carpet, package trays, and misc smaller parts from the above mentioned vendors but much of the other interior stuff is not readily available. There are a couple of steering wheel restorers with one of the main ones that if I recall correctly is in Cali.

Sounds like your color is close to my 69. I restored the entire dash area. In this pic every thing on the dash was restored with interior paint (dye) from Johns Classic Cougar. You can buy a new clock lens but not the other instrument lens'. I made my own lens' for the other instruments. My point is that you can make the interior look good. Hopefully your upper dash pad is in good condition.

I have not had to deal with plating yet, but from what I have gathered, chrome plating for metal parts is pretty prevalent but plating for the plastic is almost non existent.

More will chime in I'm sure, Good luck.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

pellets4fuel
Registered Member

Post by pellets4fuel » 21 Jun 2018, 08:08

Eric,
I called John for some interior paint for my 67, and he told me he didn't sell it any longer. It was too hard to maintain a constant supplier, deal with sending it, and having customers call back with quality issues.
I ended up going to NPD. One can was off in color, one can good. They had 2 different batch numbers. Tried going to have some mixed at the parts store, but either they have a crappy camera, or the ivy gold is hard to take a photo of.
As far as plating plastic, I had my dash done on my 67 by the process they use on plastic models (not sure what that is) The guy that did it does quite a bit with antique cars, but it is a very delicate plating. Can't hardly clean it with anything. Wish I would have did something else. So if you look into it I wouldn't recommend that process fwiw. Jay Leno's garage had a video of a quality spray on coating, but I think it was pricey.
Ditto on the tires. depending on what you got for wheels the BF Goodys are nice. Could do Cooper cobras if you want to save a little bit as I think they are cheaper.
If you do a quite a bit of digging and searching on the site, you should be able to find techniques and ideas of what guys did to solve plating issues, redo woodgrain, and make new lenses like Gary stated above, among other things. It's a great source :)!
David Siedschlag
#16306 1967 Lime Frost S-code, Ivy gold interior
4-speed, A/C, sports console, AM-8track.
1980 Toyota truck, woodgas powered
22re 4x4

ccarney69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ccarney69 » 21 Jun 2018, 09:58

I have a set of 70 high back bucket seats in your color that are in very good condition along with the rear side panels and the rear seat bottom. I also have a lot of the dash trim pieces and a set of black seat belts that went with the burgundy interior among other things. All from a Decour interior.
1968 GT-E 427 Standard Nordic Blue/Black Décor, driver
1969 XR7 R Code 4 Speed Yellow/Black Top Black Interior, current project no.1
1969 XR7 Q Code C6 Green/Black Top Dark Ivy Green Interior, current project no. 2
CCOA #8275
MACC

CoogaFan
Registered Member

Post by CoogaFan » 22 Jun 2018, 11:09

SoCal70 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 00:00
It's been sitting a long time. I rebuilt the carb, drained/replaced oil, primed and rotated the engine manually, replaced the fuel pump, and ran it off gas from a temporary bottle to get it started, and actually drove it up and down the block a couple times. Blew out the gas line from the tank (which was empty) and put a couple gallons in the tank... and then got it to run off the tank for a bit. After I did that a couple times I noticed it was getting harder to start, and then not running on all 8. It turned out that some gunk or varnish was getting warm enough to move around but wasn't burned off - eventually some of the intake valves were effectively stuck closed with this stuff, and I bent some pushrods. Replaced those and got it started again, but heard a bit of rod knock, so I am not starting it again until I take it apart to check everything out and freshen it.
I went through that last fall and after taking the tank float assy out it I saw it was very nasty in there and decided to replace both the tank and float...

Sounnder
Registered Member

Post by Sounnder » 22 Jun 2018, 19:13

Just a thought on cleaning out the fuel system on a car thats been sitting for a while. Mine was sitting for 12 years before I bought it. After smelling the tank I decided i would replace the tank just to be safe. I pulled the tank then pulled the fuel gauge sending unit and was shocked. The attached picture is what I found. Granted my car had about 15 gallons in it the entire time. The inside of all fuel lines were as bad as the sending unit. I just bought all new fuel lines for it.

After this experience I like to suggest replacing all of the fuel system in similar circumstances.

Just a thought.
Attachments
Old Fuel sending unit.jpg
The definition of nasty!
Old Fuel sending unit.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 247 times
1969 Eliminator 390 / C-6
2017 Ram 6.7 2500 4x4 Limiited

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 22 Jun 2018, 21:08

Always a good idea to go through the entire fuel system. You don't want to go through the expense of a carb rebuild just for it to clog up because of junk in the tank or bad fuel lines. I ended up replacing everything up to the carb and never regretted it. Fuel system was never a problem.. bad cam is another story.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 24 Jun 2018, 13:58

SPLINEHEAD wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:31
You can buy a new clock lens but not the other instrument lens'.
All the instrument cluster lenses are now reproduced and available.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95