1969 XR7 Convertible side window alignment

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
jayco59
Registered Member

1969 XR7 Convertible side window alignment

Post by jayco59 » 14 Aug 2018, 10:16

Hello,
I have a fairly large gap between my front and rear windows on both my passenger and drivers side doors at the roof line.
I was able to get the gap down to about a 1/4 on an inch on the passenger side (I'd prefer no gap but It's better then it was), but the driver side is not cooperating as well.
On the drivers side the gap is 3/4" or more at the roof line and the front window adjustment is all the way to one side. It would need to move farther to lessen the gap. My question is "Are the rear windows adjustable"? If they were that would seem to be the next place to work. I loosened the 4 bolts in that are in the door jam but that didn't seem to allow for any movement on the rear window.
Any or all suggestions would be appreciate. I've included a photo of the gap to show you what I'm talking about if it is not clear.
Thx,
Jay
windowgap.jpg
Drivers side window gap
windowgap.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 208 times
1969 XR7 Convertible 351W (M-Code)
4-V/4-Speed/Dual Exhaust (442 ;) ).
Maroon w/White Top, Saddle interior.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: 1969 XR7 Convertible side window alignment

Post by Don Rush » 14 Aug 2018, 10:21

Yes, this bracket located at the bottom of the track is adjustable.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/s ... attribs=87

jayco59
Registered Member

Post by jayco59 » 14 Aug 2018, 14:01

Don,
Appreciate the quick response. That's good news.
Do you get to this adjustment by removing the rear seat and interior quarter panel?
Thx,
Jay

jayco59
Registered Member

Post by jayco59 » 14 Aug 2018, 16:53

Took out the back seat and removed the rear quarter panel (if that's what you call them) and the rear window adjustment was all the way to the one side. Moved it to the other end of the adjustment and now it is MUCH better!
I included a picture of the adjustment bolt and the better aligned driver side window.
At this point I think the only thing to do to make this any better is to replace the rubber on the windows and that's too big of an effort IMHO.
I can live with this gap.
Thanks for the help!
Jay
RearWindowAdjustmentBolt.jpg
Rear window adjustment bolt (Passenger side)
RearWindowAdjustmentBolt.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 187 times
DS-windowgap-Fixed.jpg
Driver Side Window Gap after adjustment
DS-windowgap-Fixed.jpg (96.49 KiB) Viewed 187 times

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 14 Aug 2018, 20:09

Unless you know the history of your car back to day 1 and can verify that none of the glass has been changed I would check the date codes on the glass. There are 3 different door glass sizes, 1969, early 1970 glue in and 1970 bolt in. The quarter glass is also a different size between 1969 and 1970 and is convertible only. If you have a mixed group of glass it will result in a large gap between the two pieces of glass or an overlay of the two pieces. If you would have a mixed set of glass you can adjust things until you are blue in the face and you will never get the glass to properly seal everywhere.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

jayco59
Registered Member

Post by jayco59 » 15 Aug 2018, 17:26

All I can say is it has glued on glass and the etching on the glass has the name "Carlite" within an Oval.
With the wording "SOLID SAFETY GLASS" above it.
Possibly someone who knows these cars can verify that would be original glass or not.
I actual think I have the alignment pretty good after the adjustment. At this point I think it's replacing old worn-down rubber to make the fit water tight.

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 15 Aug 2018, 19:38

"Carlite" only tells us that it is Ford glass, not that it is original to your car. You need to get the date code. Look at where you found the Carlite logo and you will see a number and a letter, something like 8M, 9A, 0C. Also look for the word "Tempered" or "Sun-X". You should find all 4 pieces of glass with the same word. The date codes may not all match 100% but if it is original glass they should all be very close.

It sounds like you have the gap between the door glass and the quarter glass fairly close. Have you checked how the door glass matches up with windshield pillar weatherstrip? What about how the rear of the quarter glass seals to the roofrail weatherstrip?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

jayco59
Registered Member

Post by jayco59 » 16 Aug 2018, 13:07

Randy,
Under the "Carlite" is the Word "TEMPERED" and under that is "Sun-X" followed by some letters and numbers that are really difficult to read.
I have a magnifying glass to help me read it.
I'm seeing DOT-76 on one piece
I see an "AS2" on both the rear pieces of glass (I think) it's really small and faded.
I do have it aligned much closer, not perfect but close. I have new front window weather stripping on order and hopefully that will make it even better.

The front window pillar weather stripping aligns well with the glass, no issue there. On the passenger side I did have to move the upper portion in toward the interior a bit, there were 2 holes for that upper screw and I used the "Inner" one which allowed for the window to close without to much pressure. The driver side front window was already maxed inward so I didn't make any adjustments there, only the back window was adjusted on that side.

As for the upper edge with the convertible top, that also has a large gap, but I think that I'm missing the rubber that goes with the top. I'm still looking at getting that item. Possibly using Steel rubber products for that.
Jay

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 16 Aug 2018, 13:18

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 16 Aug 2018, 19:30

Jay,
Having "SUN-X" means that you have tinted glass. The piece that says DOT-76 I believe is a later piece of replacement glass. The "AS2" stands for the American Nationals Standards Institute for glass. AS1 will be on a windshield and AS2 will be on tempered glass. If you go back and relook at the AS2 logo then just look a little directly to the left of the AS2 you should see the date code.

There is a piece of weatherstripping that runs the entire length of the convertible top across the top of the door and quarter glass. It will extend downward to match the curve of the quarter glass. The original style correct weatherstrip for this application is reproduced. I would recommend that you purchase the correct weatherstrip rather than the hope it fits and seals piece.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95