The Snowball Saga - '68 Standard Revitalization Project

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
badcatt
Registered Member

Re: The Snowball Saga - '68 Standard Revitalization Project

Post by badcatt » 22 Jun 2018, 14:42

Andrew, If your going to take more then a week or so to install your quarter windows remove that tape now. White or slightly off white masking tape drys out and will not come off with out a lot of work that may damage your nice new parts. When hot it will bond faster then when cool too. Use Blue painters tape for longer periods of staying in place.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 22 Jun 2018, 14:54

WOW! That's a mess! ...and it still looks pretty darn good! :-)

Seriously, I think there is a lot of laquer thinner in your future. Be sure to wear good gloves so you don't absorb too much of that stuff!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 22 Jun 2018, 15:28

Small issues aside your Cougar looks great Andrew.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 22 Jun 2018, 16:19

badcatt wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 14:42
Andrew, If your going to take more then a week or so to install your quarter windows remove that tape now. White or slightly off white masking tape drys out and will not come off with out a lot of work that may damage your nice new parts. When hot it will bond faster then when cool too. Use Blue painters tape for longer periods of staying in place.
Dang, I had no idea! Thanks, I will change it over to blue tape.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 22 Jun 2018, 21:19

How silly of me to forget to say... your car is looking great. I can't wait to see it.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 22 Jun 2018, 22:59

Nice work! Glad to see your sticking with this project over the years!
I feel your pain on the over spray. I had a similar issue with mine but I have yet to get into the engine bay detail so it’s not near as bad. Got some issues under the dash I’ll have to clean up but my painter was pretty good with masking. It’s never perfect tho. The bracket thing always drives me nuts too. I have a couple that got left on and my thinking was I’m sure he will pull them off but didn’t happen. Brake clean helps with over spray too. Not the over the shelf can stuff tho but the 55gal drum of industrial stuff!

Keep plugging away! Love the attention to detail
Little at a time what gets it done.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 25 Jun 2018, 12:35

AND NOW: More than you ever wanted to know about quarter window rollers. But maybe this will be useful info.

BUT FIRST: A shot of the assembled windows, while I was changing out the tape per Neal's suggestion.

Oooo shiny.

Okay, so the journey with the rollers began because this one in particular was totally frozen in place and clearly in terrible shape:

The others would spin but felt kinda rough and chunky, so I figured if I'm doing one I might as well do them all. That's the danger of "while I'm at it" syndrome.

So these rollers are riveted / peened over from the back side. Forgot to take a picture of this, but those center metal roller pins were mushroomed over on the back, nice smooth and round with no cracks. So those were easy to drill and punch out. When I went to put the new ones in, however, this is what happened:

These new pieces are clearly too hard and brittle to be mushroomed over like they're supposed to be. So I had to go to Plan B. I split them all open on purpose to get rid of the extra material, starting by chiseling an X in to help them split:

Sometimes only half the pieces would come off, so I'd use that as a guideline and grind the rest off:

Here's what they should end up like. It's handy that they have a divot in the middle, that made it easy to drill into them.

Next, after determining what size screw would fit, I used the drill press and drilled into them deep enough to tap threads into without going through. For threading, I chose 8-32 NC.

Ta-da:

Installed. Ignore the wrong size lock washer, I'm gonna take that out. I think it'll hold just fine with just a flat washer.

So here's another "before" shot. I mostly took this to remind myself that the one upper roller is just single, without the second inner roller or spring washer. Not sure why.

After. It's nice to have these in, looking fresh and spinning freely. I'm looking forward to seeing how well these roll up and down. It better be smooth as butter after all this!

To be honest I'm still not quite done because I broke the tap off in the 4th one I was doing. Gonna seek assistance from a coworker with welding skills and maybe weld a nut onto it and back it out, hoping to save the roller pin. Ugh.

Anyway, on the same note of getting these ready to put in, I cleaned all the gunk out of the quarter window tracks, sandblasted and painted them a natural silver. I know they're supposed to be zinc plated or galvanized or whatever, but this works to beautify and protect them. Before & after:

Getting bogged down on little detail projects like the rollers is why I'm not going to be done for the show, but that's okay. I'm of the "do it once, do it right" mindset, because I plan on having this car for a very long time and want to avoid taking it apart again!

Even though they don't attach like they're supposed to, at this point I still think I can recommend the new rollers, just because it's a wear and tear item that can be pretty frustrating when your windows are hard to roll up and down. We'll see how it goes together though. I'm also putting in new window regulators because my originals are bent and ugly. Hoping to have this little project wrapped up soon so I can move on to the other windows.
-Andrew Chenovick

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread

zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zman » 25 Jun 2018, 16:55

That's a good fix.

Be careful using that grinder, get you finger sucked in there.
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 25 Jun 2018, 17:40

That all cleaned up nicely!

I have a question though: won't the paint in the channels come off and / or gum up the rollers?
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 25 Jun 2018, 18:48

Mike_B_SVT wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 17:40
I have a question though: won't the paint in the channels come off and / or gum up the rollers?
I'm wondering the same thing... thought about masking off the channels but then they'd just be bare metal, and I didn't want them to get rusty. But then I guess once I load everything up with grease, that would prevent rust, so I dunno. I'm going to do a test run before I put everything in and see how much friction & scrapeage there is.
-Andrew Chenovick

RIDES: