Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Re: Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

Post by 69XR7Ragtop » 31 Jan 2013, 19:27

I think I would rebuild the carb first along with that tune up so it would be much more reliable.
Awesome story and write-up. keep us informed on your progress and we will live vicariously through you. :)

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 31 Jan 2013, 19:35

Whatacougar wrote:
xr7g428 wrote:Great writeup by the way!
I agree. Damn near brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on the great find. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
LOL! Thanks fellahs. I've been keeping a "running tab" on my project so far, and I finally have a bit of time to post some of it. So I'm cleaning up my "journal entries" as I go, and eventually I'll have them all here.

I know alot of this stuff will be pretty mundane to most folks, but like it says, I'm a Novice ("I changeded mah oil, woot!"). I figure this is an easy way for me to keep track of what I've done and get some feedback on what I found, or what I did wrong (or right), and generally document what the heck I'm doing. I think that if I can do these things and show what a determined novice can do, then that might inspire someone else to jump into the hobby too.

I'm happy to get any comments or feedback, positive or not, that might help the next guy out (or even me!).
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 31 Jan 2013, 19:38

69XR7Ragtop wrote:I think I would rebuild the carb first along with that tune up so it would be much more reliable.
Awesome story and write-up. keep us informed on your progress and we will live vicariously through you. :)
Thanks Daryl, I've been living vicariously through you guys for years now :-)

The carb is actually one of my current projects. It is off the car and partially disassembled... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Suffice to say it will be a learning experience, as I have NEVER rebuild a carburetor before. Heck, this is the first carbureted car I've owned in over 20 years!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop » 31 Jan 2013, 19:47

Very good.
Remember patience, cleanliness, and great photo documentation during disassembly and the rebuild is a virtue.
My first was a one barrel off a '62 Falcon Ranchero and it scared me half to death. If I can do it (20 some odd years ago), so can you!

One word of caution...if you use spray carb cleaner, wear a respirator mask with filters so you don't accidentally inhale the vapor and kill yourself because it ate your lungs instantly. I came real close a couple of years ago because I wasn't thinking safety while using some like I had done a million times before with no incidents. It takes just on ill timed wind gust or misplaced squirt to really mess up your day...oh and don't forget the safety glasses too.

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 31 Jan 2013, 21:20

69XR7Ragtop wrote:One word of caution...if you use spray carb cleaner, wear a respirator mask with filters so you don't accidentally inhale the vapor and kill yourself because it ate your lungs instantly. I came real close a couple of years ago because I wasn't thinking safety while using some like I had done a million times before with no incidents. It takes just on ill timed wind gust or misplaced squirt to really mess up your day...oh and don't forget the safety glasses too.
YOW! Good to know! I hate to think I made it through 9 years of breathing oil and amine vapors and carbon dust (and who knows what else) on a submarine just to die while cleaning a carburetor.

Wouldn't that go figure...
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 01 Feb 2013, 08:38

Thanks for the write up Mike. I will be following this.

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy » 01 Feb 2013, 08:40

This is great Mike. Even knowing the story since I've been following along with you, it's still interesting to read it all at once. Isn't it awesome living in the digital age so you can just snap pictures of everything before you take it apart? I love being able to dig right in to something I have no experience with knowing I won't have to go blind trying to read some schematic or spend a boat load of money taking it to someone to put it back together.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

Prorallye
Registered Member

Post by Prorallye » 01 Feb 2013, 10:47

Yeah...good stuff Mike. Keep it coming. Like it was mentioned above, take a lot of pictures to aid in the rebuild. I also like to do one componenet at a time as you don't get sidetracked and forget things. My dad does it the opposite, he gets bored and starts on everything at the same time. It works for him but it drives me crazy!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 01 Feb 2013, 14:21

Prorallye wrote:Yeah...good stuff Mike. Keep it coming. Like it was mentioned above, take a lot of pictures to aid in the rebuild. I also like to do one componenet at a time as you don't get sidetracked and forget things. My dad does it the opposite, he gets bored and starts on everything at the same time. It works for him but it drives me crazy!
Yeah, I have to keep stopping myself from taking too many things apart. Every time I walk by the car, or am working on it, I spot something and I'm like "oh, I can fix/clean/adjust that real quick". For instance, the rear spoiler pedestals are on wrong ~ swapped sides L to R, with random screws in some of the holes. "Oh, all I gotta do is pull that off and swap them back". Except the workbench is already full of parts, and it is never "real quick"! So I stop that line of thinking, and go back to what I'm already working on. But it is hard.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

SeaninSD
Registered Member

Post by SeaninSD » 03 Feb 2013, 20:43

Looking good, Mike. I hope my Eliminator Story comes sooner than later :D.

Sean
1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ Grabber Green
1970 Mustang Boss 302 Bright Gold Metallic

Looking for a 1970 Eliminator 428 CJ or Boss 302