Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
70EliminatorGirl
Registered Member

Re: Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

Post by 70EliminatorGirl » 06 Feb 2013, 17:54

Congrats are your cool new Cat! :)
Lizzie
1970 Eliminator, 351C 4V, Ram Air, Automatic, Competition Orange
One Family Owned
In honor of my dad, Jim Stagner

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 06 Feb 2013, 19:15

Thanks Lizzie!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Cat Bites Man! Jan 1st - Jan 4th

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 06 Feb 2013, 19:27

Jan 1st – Impromptu Car Show! Met up with Lee “69_Topless_Cougar” today at the local Burgerville where they have a weekly Saturday Cruise In during the “dry” months. We lifted the hoods and shot the sh!t in the cold. At least the sun was shining – it was really a beautiful day. Another fellah was out cruising in his ’71 Buick Skylark convertible and stopped in to hang out with us for a while too!

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/f ... f=6&t=2033

Got home and found the carb was still leaking. Time to fix that before I blow myself up! The wife is none too happy about the garage stinking either, let me tell you.
Researching what to use for a temporary fix on the leaky carb. Looks like the best bet is to just rebuild it and maybe replace the fuel bowl, or get it fixed. Want to check some other tune items before I start disassembling things though. I'd like to have a good "base line" to start from before I break it.

Jan 2nd – picked up some superglue for the fuel door bezel and some 3bond to try and seal up the carb leak temporarily.

Jan 3rd – Washed up the fuel door bezel and recruited Molly to help me super glue it back together. Didn’t turn out too badly! The only missing pieces are a few chips / slivers, so that’s good. I’ll have to find something to use as a sealer / putty on the speed nuts and studs before we reassemble it (*found that strip caulk works great!).

Jan 4th – Got my package from WCCC! Installed the hood to cowl rubber bumpers. Also installed the headlight vacuum check valve. When I pulled the old one out I gave it another test suck/blow… and wouldn’t you know it! The darn thing is working fine now! When I tested it last week it wasn’t sealing at all. Probably when I drove the car it shook some crust loose in there, or something, and now it is working fine. *Sigh* I’ll just stash it in the “old parts box” for now.
Installed the engine gauge wiring harness. It is a big improvement over the burned and melted old one. Had to crimp the temperature sensor connection slightly to get it to fit snugly. Will have to research how to get my Volt meter functioning properly. Noticed the connections on the ignition coil may not be correct; Batt is connected to the distributor, and Dist is connected to the wiring harness somewhere. Seems backwards to me.

Also noticed that the repro CJ-428 sticker for the air cleaner isn’t really a great reproduction, IMO. Some noticeable differences in the font and other details; no silver band around the repro, no part number on the repro. Ah well, it will be better than the ratty one I have in the wrong location (was stuck on the snorkel). Started working at removing the old sticker...

Last edited by Mike_B_SVT on 15 Mar 2016, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Cat Bites Man! Jan 5th & 6th

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 07 Feb 2013, 18:09

Jan 5th – Removed the stripped carb fitting and secondary fuel line. Then I sealed up the bad threads on the carburetor secondary bowl using 3-bond liquid gasket sealer. Hopefully that will buy me some time to check timing and verify a thermostat is installed. I noticed when I drove it that the temperature never got much above “C”, even though I drove it all afternoon. It was a cold day, but maybe there is no thermostat installed.

Jan 6th – I checked on my seal job and found the stuff was still…liquid. Just like the package says. Wrong stuff! So off to Napa I went and bought some form-a-gasket that says fuel resistant. Also picked up chrome polish and rubbing compound. Second attempt at sealing up the bad carb threads.
Also used the rubbing compound on the passenger door and removed the “Rock Steady No. 1” lettering. Looks like a good polish / rub on the whole car would be beneficial. Might want to look into an electric polisher / buffer to make the job easier. Or just drag it out over the winter by hand.

*The story I got was that the original owner used to drag race it "back in the day", so he had lettering put on his car. Now, the lettering was only on the passenger door when I bought it. But I know that quite a bit of the car has been repainted at various times over the years, so the driver's door lettering may have been "lost" during one of those partial repaints.
Some of my coworkers think I should have kept the lettering, that it was "cool". Personally, I think it was a little bit cheesy, especially with the lettering on only one door. Add to that the Wife kept asking me why I had someone elses "name" on my car, so it had to go. Don't worry, this car still has plenty of "character" left, LOL!

You can still see where the lettering was, so I'll have to buff the door to try and even out the color a bit. Yeah, the paint is hashed, but that doesn't mean that I don't want the paint that is still there to shine and look bright.

Last edited by Mike_B_SVT on 15 Mar 2016, 18:34, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Cat Bites Man! Jan 9th - Jan 12th

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 07 Feb 2013, 18:35

Jan 9th – I’ve been coming out and wiping the dash a little at a time for the last few nights. It has some sort of sticky residue on it. Not sure if it is from the vinyl breaking down, or if the previous owner coated the whole thing with Armor All or baby oil (I’ve read that helps preserve the vinyl dash), or what. Either way, it is gruesome and has to go. I touched it and it tried to assimilate me, like The Blob. Now I have to kill it before it can use my DNA to form a clone of me. That never ends well in the movies.
I tried some Formula 409, and it works, but says it is not supposed to be used on vinyl (oops!). Tried soap and water and I swear I heard the goo laugh at me! Fine, Goo-Gone it is ~ that sh!t made short work of the sticky goo, and I almost shed a tear at how clean the dash looks now.
Also used some turtlewax swirl remover on a spot on the front fender, just to see if it would polish up. Wow! Shiny :-) Looking forward to polishing up the whole car… just need to get it washed properly first. Maybe this weekend.

Jan 11th – I’ve been watching an eBay auction for a complete driver’s side headlight assembly for $40 +$18 shipping. Entire assembly; 2 lights, bumpers, door / cover, pig-tails. Decided to bite the bullet and buy it. My driver’s side light needs help; eyelid door is bent and broken and held together with screws, high beam bulb is burned out, and it is missing a rubber bumper. The parts need refinished / repainted, but no biggie ~ so do the ones that are on the car now!

Jan 12th - Finished wiping all the sticky gunk off of the dashboard! Yay, not sticky anymore! Almost forgot to snap before-and-after pics. Got a pic of the last bit of sticky goo ~ underside of the dash on the driver’s side. Not sure if you can see it in the pics, but the goo actually had trails from where it was oozing / running down the dash. All clean now though!

Before ~ gooey and sticky mess;

After ~ a smooth work of vinyl goodness;
Last edited by Mike_B_SVT on 15 Mar 2016, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Cat Bites Man! Jan 13th - Jan 16th

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 07 Feb 2013, 18:54

Jan 13th – fired it up! Checked radiator coolant flow while it was still cold ~ no flow, so there is a thermostat installed. Temp gauge never got far above “C”, even after driving it around a while. So it is still running cold. Possibly a cold (160degree) thermostat installed, or the wrong temperature sensor.
Verified no fuel leaks!
Drove it down to the “U-scrub-it” car wash and hosed & scrubbed it down. That soap doesn’t wash off very well… Probably will require a good rinse in the driveway, but at least it isn’t “dirty”. Wasn’t able to get the underside or wheel wells very thoroughly, but at least it’s a start. I would have washed it by hand in the driveway, but it is too darn cold! As it was the Wife thought I was crazy ~ but I wasn't the only one at the car wash, so at least I'm not the only crazy!

Jan 15th – Did some buffing / polishing on the top of the passenger front quarter and passenger side of the hood. It will shine, but it is gonna take some serious elbow grease. I might have to invest in a buffer of some sort. I might need a different polish too. My turtle wax swirl remover is probably not aggressive enough ~ the hood still feels “spikey” after I finish buffing.
Another option is to wet sand it with 2000grit, and then polish it… Might try that next.
Oh, I also tried out the chrome polish with 0000 steel wool on a bit of the bumper. Eh, I’m sure it will look good, but hard to tell. Didn’t really put a lot of effort into it either though, but I did take off some various paint and goo spots.

Jan 16th – More buffing / polishing of paint. Experimented with some wet sanding with 1500grit and was able to sand out part of the big stains on the hood! …but that left “clean spots”. Hit them with rubbing compound and swirl remover and they polished up nicely. Also used a clay bar on some areas and WOW does that smooth out the roughness! Lots of gunk in and on the paint.
Plan is to get some 2000grit paper and polishing compound.

I did some research and took a look at the temperature sensor. It appears to be a factory / correct sensor with a red insulator (now oxidized and pink). Sensor may be failing due to age, or it could be a cold thermostat in there...

Last edited by Mike_B_SVT on 15 Mar 2016, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

silverton_ford
Registered Member

Post by silverton_ford » 08 Feb 2013, 10:11

Looking great! If you are interested, I know a guy who is great at detailing old original paint. He has been doing it for 20+ years and has polished a variety of cars. He actually buffed "Gunner" before it went to BJ. He also brought life to the paint on a 1966 T-Bird convertible I sold last year. He has also done a couple of Bronco's for another friend. He lives in Salem. PM me if you are interested and I can give you his phone number.
WANTED: 1970 Cougar Eliminator 428CJ or Boss 302

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 08 Feb 2013, 11:00

Yeah, bring it down here! That will give you an excuse to take it on a road trip, stop by WCCC and let us check it out! Maybe we can interview you and make a little video about the car, and your quest to find it. I think it's a pretty cool story.

And, like everyone else said, congrats on finally finding the one. It will be (already is) fun to watch your progress. The whole "living vicariously" thing is always cool. :lol:
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 08 Feb 2013, 13:56

Thanks Fellahs,

I would love to do that, once I get my Carb adventures wrapped up and make sure "Goldie" is fully road-worthy (hopefully sooner, rather than later).
I just finished wet-sanding the hood the other day, but it still needs polished and there is still alot of car left to go. And it would always be nice to have a Pro go over it ~ he'd probably have it shiney in a few hours, instead of days / weeks of me dragging it out a little at a time.

Andrew, I was just watching your Roof Replacement video the other day. Looks like it was quite the adventure!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

SalD
Registered Member

Post by SalD » 08 Feb 2013, 18:04

MIKE, GREAT THREAD. I don't get around here regularly any more but keep up the good work. SalD
SalD COUGAR GEEK
1970 convertible