Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: Cat Bites Man! A Novice and His SCJ Eliminator

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 13 Jan 2015, 00:19

Thanks for the kind words, and the news on the stripes Andrew! I love the idea of a "piece by piece" stripe kit ~ I bet there are plenty of folks who would like THAT option!

One of the (many) issues with my car is that when they redid the quarters they put the ELIMINATOR text in the wrong location, which bugs the heck out of me, LOL! Yeah, one side of my car is taped stripes and the other side is painted ~ but the text in the wrong place... :wall:
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Cat Bites Man! December 2014

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 25 Apr 2015, 00:43

Dec 1st – My car was voted “Ride of the Month” for December on the Classic Cougar Community forum! Woot!

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/f ... =33&t=4481

Dec 3rd – We've been having some good weather, so I drove the Cougar for my daily commute today. I think I made some guy's day too ~ he was really checking it out at a stoplight - turned halfway around and looking over his shoulder. He had the biggest smile on his face, and just kept smiling and shaking his head as if in disbelief, LOL!

Took the Cougar over to Quality Paint at lunch today to ask them about what products to use on the rusty / old filler spots. Jeff actually directed me to a fellah’s home / shop a few blocks away to talk to him about what to use and how. So off I went to Jerry Westling’s shop, where he checked out my car and what I wanted to do, and gave me a few pointers. Cool “old timer”, with several ‘65/’66 Mustang coupe’s in his shop in various stages of restoration.

Then I went back to Quality Paint and picked up a can of primer and a gallon of filler (and a tube of hardener), and a few spreaders. That should get me started!

Gtting a lot more growl and noise from the throwout bearing ~ including occasional squeals :-/

Took the Cougar by the gas station and topped her off with non-ethanol premium ~ a smidge over 12 gallons. On the way home I made sure to kick in the secondaries so that the rear fuel bowl gets cycled and flushes the ethanol out.

Dec 5th – I had an “Ah HA!” moment while reading about another fellah’s stinky steering wheel. I've been wondering what the deal was! My wheel smells like... well, puke, and on hot days I'll get a whif of it occasionally. Here I just figured that the PO had a few too many one night or something, and it never all got cleaned out of the nooks and crannies. Heck, the key ring that came with the car had a bottle opener on it, and there has been a significant amount of sheet metal replaced on the car. Hmm... he also owned a liquor store too! It all makes sense now!

Seriously though, I guess they all start to smell like that as the materials degrade. Yuck! Luckily mine isn't bad ~ only an occasional faint wiff on hot days

Dec 6th – I started color sanding the roof today. My goal is to remove the existing stains in the paint, and also remove the oxidized, dirty, orange-peely paint so that a color match will be easier to achieve – and more consistent with the actual paint color.

Dec 7th – Color sanding on the passenger side of the roof - I was able to sand out the stains fairly easily.

I also started sanding the thick body filler on the driver’s side B-pillar with some 80-grit paper. That seems to cut into it easily, but it is going to take some more elbow grease and time. Feathering and filling will probably be a bit tedious as well. Time to ask for power tools for Christmas...

Dec 8th – Tried to get a picture of the part number and date code on my starter after reading a post about starters on the 428CJ site. I confirmed that my starter is not the original, based on the part number and date code: Autolite D0AF-11001-A with a date code of 1A4C (Jan 4th, 1971 – shift C). The CJ site ID section says that a D0TF-11001-A starter is “correct” for '70 CJ cars. The “T” starters were used on the Truck line while “A” starters were from mid-size vehicles. ’68 & ’69 CJ cars received C8AF- starters.

Also finished color sanding the roof.

Dec 14th – Did some more sanding on the B-pillar bondo. Determined that I really, really need a sander. Otherwise this will take significantly longer than I want.

I also resprayed my cheezy makeshift snorkel S-tube with a correct Ford Blue, so it will blend in better.

Then I removed the rev-limiter and gave that section of the apron a good wipe down with grease & wax remover. Sanded it, then dusted it with some engine bay black. After it dried I reinstalled the rev limiter and rain gutter. I also got the masking tape wraps put on the extra wire bundle.

Installed the reinforcing rubber / Viton on the new shifter boot and got it glued in place. All ready to install after I finish the transmission work!

Dec 23rd – I purchased a “clone” Battery Heat Shield (D4DZ-10A682-A) last week. It looks identical to the D0OB unit, except for the part number (which will be on the inside and hidden from view once it is installed), and it is about 1/2" shorter. $50 shipped! Cheaper than the C7 repro piece, which isn’t correct in appearance for a ’70 car.

Got it installed, and being ½” shorter than the D0OB it doesn’t sit all the way down into the battery tray when the top edge is seated on the battery. That would probably not be noticed by anyone except the “hard core” car people. I’ll still keep an eye out for a “cheap” D0OB (yeah, right!), but for now the D4DZ piece looks great to me :-)

Dec 26th – Finished compounding the roof.

Dec 27th – Finally got a chance to fire up my new toy! DA polisher / sander from Harbor Freight - thanks Santa! Sanded the snot out of the B-pillar on the Cougar today. Hoooly Crap did that make a ton of dust all over everything in the garage! I had to dust off the wife’s car before she saw it, and she was still not happy about all the dust everywhere! So look like I’ll need a new plan for sanding ~ I guess back it out into the driveway and have at it, or something.

Dec 30th - It is cold and dry here for the next few days, so I took the Cougar out for an errand to cycle the fluids and whatnot. On my way back home my speedometer / odometer gave up on me! Speedo needle wiggled a little bit and then dropped to zero :-/

I'm hoping it is only the plastic gear ~ I figure it is 40+ year old plastic, and it probably didn't care for the 32degree weather we are having! I need to pull the trans this winter to replace the throwout bearing too, so I guess I'll fix the speedo cable while I'm in there. Yay?
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Kuda Rag

Post by Kuda Rag » 30 Jan 2016, 12:16

WOW! Beautiful car and a fantastic blog on the restoration of your car. I am new on this site. Thank-you for posting all that info. It must have been a lot of work.

Cheers, Dave

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 30 Jan 2016, 22:18

Kuda Rag wrote:WOW! Beautiful car and a fantastic blog on the restoration of your car. I am new on this site. Thank-you for posting all that info. It must have been a lot of work.

Cheers, Dave
Thank Dave, I appreciate the kind words. I love the car, but like I tell others "yeah, it looks great when it is the size of a postage stamp on your computer screen", LOL! I'm still working on the car, slowly but surely. I really do need to update my thread here with work from the past year (time flies!). Also lost service from the image hose I was using when I started, so I'll have to update the pics there as well. Never enough time... :whistle:
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 03 Feb 2016, 10:44

Man great car! On the plus side you are doing the work yourself, so there is a certain amount of pride. That thing must have some juice with that 428!