Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Steve68Cougar » 04 Jun 2017, 20:48

Thanks. It feels like I've been neglecting it a little bit. I've been trying to locate a few used parts instead of spending money on all new stuff, so that's not helping my time table (along with not being home on a weekend for about 6 weeks in a row). With the color, it's actually a Ford silver metallic color. I tried to match the trim paint on my Bullitt as closely as possible, and I think it's pretty close.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 08 Jun 2017, 05:27

I agree w/Caleb. Nice job. I would be happy if I could get more time to actually drive mine. It seems like project after project is cropping up whether I want it to or not.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 01 Jul 2017, 15:19

I started with the interior transformation this week. I got the AccuMatch interior paint that's supposed to be the correct color for the dash and started getting it sprayed. Here's a shot of the dash:

It's a little easier to see the actual color out in the sunlight, so here's a few of the steering column pieces:

I've had a few issues with the paint reacting with the original paint, but I've managed to get things smooth eventually. It helps if you start with a really light coat, let it dry and repeat a few times. After a layer of paint is established then you can come back with heavier coats. I've actually gone through quite a bit of sandpaper trying to get the final surface smooth (I actually have redone the steering column piece in the last picture since I took that picture - too many imperfections). The dash isn't actually done yet, as I've been working on several spots trying to get them completely smooth.

It's looking like I'll need to get a different headliner rather than just paint the one in the car. The mice decided to chew holes in it, so I think it won't be any more difficult to just put a new one in as opposed to trying to repair this one. I'm not looking forward to pulling the glass, but it seems like I'll end up spending more time trying to get it to look right if I just try to tuck the ends under the weatherstripping.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 01 Jul 2017, 19:35

Nice job. I have had a few paint "reacting" scenarios rebuilding guitars. Your technique of many light coats actually works pretty well. Glad you are making progress and seemingly enjoying it.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 02 Jul 2017, 16:19

Thanks. I continued painting today and got some more of the steering system done. I used the SEM vinyl paint and must say I'm pretty impressed with the way it looks. Here's the before:

and here's the after:

The trim ring and Cougar emblem were completely faded down to the base material. I used the same paint on those that I did on the gauge surrounds. Trying to get the black background in the emblem was pretty tricky. It's still not perfect, but I found that using a syringe with a 24 gauge needle worked pretty well for getting paint in there precisely. I just sprayed a bit into a container and sucked it up with the syringe. I could control pretty well how much was coming out. I'm currently working on getting the steering wheel restored, but I've got a ways to go on it. I may end up putting a wheel cover on it if I can't get it to look good.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 02 Jul 2017, 16:22

The dash looks good. Using several light coats of paint is the proper way to paint. Using this method gives the paint time to flash.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 02 Jul 2017, 16:34

I missed your last post as I was replying to your dash post. The horn pad looks great. I also used SEM on mine, painting the Cougar emblem was time consuming for me. I wish I had used your idea about the needle.

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

1968 XR7-G

1968 XR7-G Hertz

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 03 Jul 2017, 07:19

Yours turned out nice! Looks like I need to add a strip of black to the surround to make it a little more correct.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 03 Jul 2017, 07:51

Steve here is a link to the steering wheel restoration I did on my '67. It might help you with your restoration.
https://classiccougarcommunity.com/foru ... =513&hilit
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

1968 XR7-G

1968 XR7-G Hertz

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 03 Jul 2017, 08:15

Thanks for the link. I actually paged through it before I started on mine. Very nice!
68 Cougar -Augusta Green