Design the ultimate road trip Cougar

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
Blitz
Registered Member

Re: Design the ultimate road trip Cougar

Post by Blitz » 30 May 2017, 10:53

I like the rack & pinion steering idea, that would help a lot. Even with a rebuilt stock setup it seems like you have to hunt back and forth with the wheel a little to stay in your lane.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 May 2017, 11:30

Blitz that is an alignment issue unless you have slop in the steering box. You need to have them add some caster, and also be sure you are running a little toe in, and it will track better.

There is something to be said for the fact that once upon a time these cars were the state of the art and people drove them where ever they wanted to go. I can remember many family vacation trips before AC was common. Crossing the desert meant hanging an evaporative cooler on the rear window and I still have the hemp water bag that was tied infront of the grill. I can remember our first AC equipped car, and then how cool it was to have the AC built into the dash...

What is different now is that back then a lot of driving was on narrow two lanes that had a speed limit of 55 MPH or less and there were tons of road side gas stations that had a "mechanic on duty". Every small town seemed to have Ford dealer. It wasn't uncommon for a radiator hose to blow or a set of points to go out or the engine might develop a miss that called for a set of plugs or wires. It never felt like a crisis, you just hung out at the gas station and drank a couple of Nehi's or a Royal Crown Cola. At least for kid that was what it was like...
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 30 May 2017, 11:49

xr7g428 wrote:
30 May 2017, 11:30

There is something to be said for the fact that once upon a time these cars were the state of the art and people drove them where ever they wanted to go. I can remember many family vacation trips before AC was common. Crossing the desert meant hanging an evaporative cooler on the rear window and I still have the hemp water bag that was tied infront of the grill. I can remember our first AC equipped car, and then how cool it was to have the AC built into the dash...

What is different now is that back then a lot of driving was on narrow two lanes that had a speed limit of 55 MPH or less and there were tons of road side gas stations that had a "mechanic on duty". Every small town seemed to have Ford dealer. It wasn't uncommon for a radiator hose to blow or a set of points to go out or the engine might develop a miss that called for a set of plugs or wires. It never felt like a crisis, you just hung out at the gas station and drank a couple of Nehi's or a Royal Crown Cola. At least for kid that was what it was like...
As a kid we traveled across the country many times. First time was in 1959. Dad had the 57 Ford 2 door Ranch wagon. I am not sure of the exact route. But Interstate 90 may have been under construction in places. I remember it was mostly 2 lane hi ways.

Later it was in a 1960 Valiant 4 door coupe. We were towing a U-haul with that little econo box. Mom was driving when she hit some Black Ice some place in Wyoming. The car did a full 360 with out hitting anything. With 5 of us in the car I think we had at least 4 crapped pants(figuratively). That spin broke both rear shocks. Dad nursed it in to a bigger town. Found a hotel and dropped the trailer,bumper hitch and the rest of us off to clean up and took the car to the nearest Plymouth dealer and got new shocks under warrantee. I wounder what he told the service writer happened.

I remember him doing points and cleaning plugs on the side of the road in both of those cars when we were traveling. He would do a complete tune up before the trips started, but one would never be certain of how conditions would effect performance. I was surprised at how people in West Virginia drink Dr Pepper. Warm was the preference. I prefer mine ice cold. As kids we met a lot of interesting people in the 9 states we lived in while Dad worked on the Boemarc and Minuteman programs.

P.S. I am looking forward to my adventure driving Ginger to Dearborn. I'm heading out Thursday or Friday(weather dependent)
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

9F91H581221
Registered Member

Post by 9F91H581221 » 02 Oct 2017, 22:56

I've put about 130,000+ miles on the Cougar in my icon. It was nicer with the AOD. Being a Florida car with the heater removed, Michigan in November was downright painful after a few hours.

Recipe for a long drive Cougar?----eh, overdrive. That's about it.

zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zman » 03 Oct 2017, 06:41

9F91H581221 wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 22:56
I've put about 130,000+ miles on the Cougar in my icon. It was nicer with the AOD. Being a Florida car with the heater removed, Michigan in November was downright painful after a few hours.

Recipe for a long drive Cougar?----eh, overdrive. That's about it.
My old 65 Mustang had a heater, but it didn't work.
In the winter, drove with snowmobile mittens on.
Good times.
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 03 Oct 2017, 08:31

My 73 Spitfire didn't have a heater but then again with the engine so close to the firewall I didn't need one.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Oct 2017, 10:43

I can add something new. Hotchkis has a new suspension system that does amazing things for handling with out knocking your teeth out.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry