A Message From Don

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
Lxg44
Registered Member

A Message From Don

Post by Lxg44 » 13 Oct 2017, 09:59

I was cleaning out my email and came across the latest newsletter from WCCC. I'm thinking about changing my grille so I was scrolling through the various grille offers and when I got to the bottom I found a message from Don. I'm sure a lot of you that received the email never saw the message because it was at the very bottom. His message struck a cord with me so I thought I would re-post it here. Don, I hope I am not out of line posting your words. Also, if this was already re-posted sorry for the duplicate.

"A Message From Don
The other night, I stayed late at the shop for a few hours to install some "instant gratification" cosmetic parts on a 1969 Eliminator belonging to one of our customers. Andrew stayed late as well to work on his fuel system on his daily driver-beater Volvo. I had my playlist pumping out some old favorites from Bruce Springsteen, Buffalo Springfield, John Mellencamp, etc., and even though I was tired from a long day of cleaning and listing Cougar grille sections on our website, it was, as usual, a good experience.
As I headed for home at 8 p.m. and listened to the news of the day, I was brought back to reality... Oh yeah, this is going on. It made me reflect on why we lock ourselves in the garage and fiddle with these old cars. For me, these old cars remind me of a (seemingly) better time. I say "seemingly" because when I was younger, I was oblivious to many of the concerns of the day. As time goes on, we often choose to remember what we want to remember.
I guess the reason I find working on old cars so rewarding is that it takes me to a place where I pretty much forget everything but the task at hand, for hours on end. Old cars are bundles of small and large problems, but with enough ambition I can usually overcome these problems and emerge victorious, in contrast to more complicated "real life" issues.
When 9/11 engulfed our country I said to my wife Renee, "This is really going to be tough for us if people are no longer interested in trivial matters in life like Cougars." I was wrong - business soon doubled! The overall sentiment coming from many of my customers at the time was "I do not have control over what happens tomorrow, but I can get off my couch, turn off the news and do what I have been wanting to do for years."
It seems ridiculous that I actually stood back to admire the red foil decal I had just applied to my grille center, but for me to be the dad, husband and community leader I feel called to be, I think it's healthy to retreat to the woodworking shop, garden, or garage on a regular basis and get lost in a different world.
It was probably fitting that before I turned out the lights that night, the last song that played was "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I want to thank all of you for allowing me, a rather simple guy, to serve you for the last 27 years and invite me and the WCCC crew into your garage on a regular basis.
May God richly bless you and yours,
Don Rush"

With the constant barrage of media it definitely has an affect, at least for me, on my optimism for the day and the future. When you don't step away and turn it off it takes a toll on us emotionally. So I agree with Don, find your outlet and clear your head, you will be healthier for it.

Thanks Don!
69 Cougar
Schwartz G-Machine Chassis
Coyote 5.0
T-56 Magnum 6-Speed

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: A Message From Don

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 13 Oct 2017, 10:46

You can DEFINITELY get an AMEN!!! on this one. Excellent (and yes, I missed the message too!).
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 13 Oct 2017, 13:29

I am fine with you reposting! We have avoided discussing recent news topics here because this site is our "virtual shop" and a place where we can ignore the problems of the day and come together and share what we have in common regardless of our political views, etc. That being said it can become awkward to just ignore such topics completely. I felt we needed more in the latest mass email than to just say "Buy more stuff from WCCC". It has been comforting to me get the many emails over the last couple days from customers echoing my sentiments about what the hobby means to them. CRAZY Busy here today, over 150 free grille parts have gone out the door. The word FREE gets peoples attention! I will never forget the time I went to a gated, affluent community nearby where they have one annual neighborhood wide yard sale each year. A garage door opens and a gentleman (who was not having a sale) wheels out a decent looking lawn mower with one bum wheel with a free sign taped to it. My instant thought was "I better grab this before someone who really needs it might see it". WHAT was I thinking? I already owned a perfectly fine riding lawn mower and a push mower!

http://westcoastclassiccougar.cmail19.c ... CADFFC107B

Lxg44
Registered Member

Post by Lxg44 » 13 Oct 2017, 14:05

You are also right on with the word "Free". My brain immediately becomes irrational tells me I must need it if its free. Its just like when someone says "Beer", same reaction.
69 Cougar
Schwartz G-Machine Chassis
Coyote 5.0
T-56 Magnum 6-Speed

7.0 Litre Kid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by 7.0 Litre Kid » 13 Oct 2017, 22:04

No I saw it as well.
Nice to know, we’re surrounded by fellow enthusiasts!
Going piece by piece on a project and Don has been incredible for a source.
Attachments
96D20726-55FA-480F-B8C8-C3A544044949.jpeg
96D20726-55FA-480F-B8C8-C3A544044949.jpeg (258.31 KiB) Viewed 122 times