Many, many miles...

This is the place for your Cougar adventure stories. Do you drive your Classic Cougar? Tell us about it!
Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: Many, many miles...

Post by Don Rush » 08 Aug 2017, 16:46

That was a very good read!

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 08 Aug 2017, 18:26

Good write up. We call our "car spa's" driveway parties.

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop » 08 Aug 2017, 19:40

Very well said indeed.

Absolutely correct on mufflers too. I had Borla's on mine at first and hated how loud they were in the cockpit. I cut them off and went with Walker's which is what was OEM and still is for the Mustangs. I used their Turbo version which still has a rumble but no bad interior loudness or drone.

You might consider a Ford Duraspark distributor and electronic ignition conversion sold by performance distributors. Works great plus they tuned it to my engine specs. Bonus is if any of the components fail you can get a make due replacement at any parts store.

I don't drive mine everyday, but I drive an hour one way to work in her about every other week and a lot of driving on the weekends. I love every minute of it too!

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration--drive all the time, but you are never really done!)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 10 Aug 2017, 05:09

Yorgle wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 14:57

A few bonus tips:

Remember that to have an enjoyable driver you have to actually drive it, which means you are NOT going to be restoring it. As soon as you go down the restoration path, you're daily driving days are numbered. Avoid reading through build threads like ECI Bob and Steven's convertible conversion. They will just depress you because there's no way you are going to do anything near that level of quality and still be able to drive your cat to work the next morning. Learn to live with "that'll do it" and "good enough."

Most importantly, remember that your wife's van is NOT your backup vehicle. Anything you do to your car MUST be finished by morning!
Jody great points. I laughed at a couple of things as I read through the list. My convertible conversion started off probably in a worse place than yours did, so thanks for the kind words about my quality. "That'll do", "good enough" and "be finished by morning" were car phrases that I lived by when I was in High School and a newlywed. Boy how time changes things. :D

Hats off to you because you really have a quality build and for most of us you're living the dream of a daily driver. :thumbsup:

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 10 Aug 2017, 08:38

LOL on my resto thread - but I do drive Isabel quite regularly (choosing my days of course). She has about 10,000 miles on her since the resto completion in 2011. Not a daily driver by any means but not a trailer queen either!

Love your top ten (and bonus tips too) Jody, thanks!
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Sir Ed
Registered Member

Post by Sir Ed » 14 Aug 2017, 09:44

But how much grease and oil is to much?

I need to replace the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets as well on mine. There is to much crud and oil built up in the engine bay Its a fire waiting to happen!
1967 Standard, 289 4 barrel