Question about Classic cougar community web site

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
cougar2
Registered Member

Question about Classic cougar community web site

Post by cougar2 » 03 Aug 2017, 12:41

Since Photo bucket has now decided to charge big prices for using your own photos, I now have pictures in threads that are not accessible anymore. I have found this on other web sites that I do advertising on and to my surprise, I found that my pictures in threads on this web site, to be all just fine.

Photo bucket will not allow your pictures to be used on 3rd party sites, but the two other sites I go to are really no different than this one. I went into the classifieds section on this site, all pictures good, but on the classified section on those other sites, non of them are available.

My question is, what makes this site set up acceptable and the others not?
Is there something I can share about the setup of this site, to other web sites?

thanks!

CatVert68
Registered Member

Re: Question about Classic cougar community web site

Post by CatVert68 » 03 Aug 2017, 14:35

From what I can tell, the difference in this site is the dedication of Jay and Bill, who put tremendous effort into figuring out how to import those pictures before Photobucket blocked them.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Aug 2017, 14:52

It looks like you missed the discussion on this when it first popped up.

When we saw what Photobucket was doing we immediately recognized that is would render a ton of really good threads pretty much worthless. We realize that it takes a lot of work to create a build thread or a "how to" thread. It also meant that several years of Ride of the Month threads were about to be destroyed.

First off, the difference is not that Photobucket allows your images to work here. They don't. The reason you are seeing your images here is that we were able to grab your images before Photobucket cut you off, and then we put a copy of the image on our server and changed the links in the posts to get the image from our server. Jay was able to save a very high percentage of those images that way. The bad news is that hosting those images on our server pushed us to the edge of our available bandwidth. This forced us to step up from a Virtual Private Server to a true dedicated server. The move to the dedicated server has been going on in the background for the past week. In fact we are running it right now and no one has noticed. Thinks to Jays hard work there has been essentially zero issues.

There is more in store. Jay and I have cooked up a new system to load images (Jay is doing the real work!) If it all goes the way we hope, soon you will be able to drag and drop an image with out having to resize it or anything else and it will give you a link to post directly into your post. Eazy Peezy. Right now we are essentially running the new server on the same specs as the old one. Early next week we will put the pedal to the metal and open this baby up! Most likely the only thing that most of you will see is slightly faster response times when the site is busy, but we won't be hitting close to 100% on critical resources any more.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Aug 2017, 14:53

CatVert68 wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 14:35
From what I can tell, the difference in this site is the dedication of Jay and Bill, who put tremendous effort into figuring out how to import those pictures before Photobucket blocked them.
Exactly correct. In less than a 1000 words! LOL!

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Aug 2017, 14:58

To answer the part about what you can share, it may be too late if all the images on those other sites are already blocked. They could perhaps hire Jay to do for them what he did here, but it is not simple and won't be cheap if it is even possible. Just to make sure this is clear, Photobucket does not treat us in any way differently than other sites. There is no secret setting that fixes this. I am sorry that you lost your images on other sites, it really sucks.

cougar2
Registered Member

Post by cougar2 » 03 Aug 2017, 17:27

Wow, Im sure glad you guy's were on top of it right from the start. There is so much that could have been lost here, History Saved! Thank you!

J_Speegle
Registered Member

Post by J_Speegle » 03 Aug 2017, 21:12

I'm having to replace pictures (dead links) with new links on the threads with larger numbers of pictures (just focusing where the impact can be the greatest) Have 30 or so dead links in my one build post that will need attention first. Its great you could do this for many of the members here through your efforts.

Sorry that the new pictures in my postings will carry the watermark from our site since that is my best option (long term) for hosting

IF there is a Gallery for uploading and storing members pictures on this site guess I've missed it

Thanks for all the effort - I understand what it takes

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 04 Aug 2017, 11:36

Jeff, I wish it were an easy fix. Maybe someone will come up with a solution that works across the board.