Tilt-Away Column

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
dwwccc
Registered Member

Re: Tilt-Away Column

Post by dwwccc » 03 Jun 2019, 08:50

The reservoir is mounted under the Battery tray.
If the holes are not all ready there, ford placed dimples where the holes should be.
I grind off the dimple and the pilot hole will remain. Then I drill to size

CatVert68
Registered Member

Post by CatVert68 » 04 Jun 2019, 09:33

In case it helps... If your engine is running rough, pressure test the whole vacuum system rather than zero in on the tilt canister, The hissing sound you hear could be coming from the headlight door actuators, the main vacuum tank, the tilt vacuum canister or (if equipped), the A/C vacuum canister. These would all be present on a 67-68 tilt & A/C equipped car, but adjust accordingly for your '69 since I don't know those very well.

I'd only start troubleshooting the tilt system once you know you have a properly functioning vacuum system.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

dwwccc
Registered Member

Post by dwwccc » 05 Jun 2019, 07:29

CatVert68, The original problem was tilt not working and engine runs rough. The idea is to determine if the problem is tilt system or engine system.
Once determined troubleshooting can begin. Tilt was the subject and that is where the direction was taken. I purposely did not go down the path of other vacuum and engine problems as it would confuse the issue. I could have went down the various rabbit holes but a starting point was needed and not confusion.

CatVert68
Registered Member

Post by CatVert68 » 05 Jun 2019, 07:37

Your car, your call. Good luck.
======
CCOA Member 8302

Singlemalt
Registered Member

Post by Singlemalt » 23 Jun 2019, 10:08

CatVert68 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 07:37
Your car, your call. Good luck.
Just to clarify it was not I, the original poster of the thread, who put that last comment up. I honestly attempt to take all suggestions at face value and try to determine the best route of solution. It is obvious I have a vacuum issue somewhere in the car and I know they can difficult to diagnose especially considering all the extra vacuum driven systems in these cars. I will be going through the entire system and I do appreciate the advise from all members here. Which is why I keep coming back when I have issues that are above my head.
Thank you, CatVert68.
Where are we going? And why are we in this hand basket?

CatVert68
Registered Member

Post by CatVert68 » 24 Jun 2019, 10:13

Singlemalt wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 10:08

Just to clarify it was not I, the original poster of the thread, who put that last comment up. I honestly attempt to take all suggestions at face value and try to determine the best route of solution. It is obvious I have a vacuum issue somewhere in the car and I know they can difficult to diagnose especially considering all the extra vacuum driven systems in these cars. I will be going through the entire system and I do appreciate the advise from all members here. Which is why I keep coming back when I have issues that are above my head.
Thank you, CatVert68.
Sorry to have confused the earlier response as being from you. I appreciate the correction and clarification and hope you track down the problem quickly . Good luck.
======
CCOA Member 8302