What now!!?

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
AP_70_Cougar
Registered Member

What now!!?

Post by AP_70_Cougar »

So, the 70 Cougar (351C 4V 278 miles on rebuild) is napping for the Winter. I do wake her up occasionally just to make sure things are good (warmer her up for a good 20 minutes and drive if the weather is nice).

Anyways, with my brake light issue I couldn't drive her (and it was REALLY NICE out) but I did warmer her up good for about 20 - 25 minutes.

The only movement I did was backwards about 7 feet then forward 6 feet - to make sure I didn't start to develop flat spots on the tires (had this happen one time).

Right after I pulled her back in I let her sit again, idling and this "chatter" started up. I thought it was my aluminum door sill rattling at first but I zeroed in on it the closer I got the the shifter. The chatter goes away once I press on the clutch pedal, then comes back as I release it.

When I first started her up there was no chatter. As a matter of fact it didn't show up until I pulled her back into the garage, so maybe 15 minutes of run time BEFORE it started

Here is a video of the "chatter"...It's right after the rear end exhaust part, as I move into the driver seat/dash area.

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/N1CTekKYCw4[/YouTube]

What do you guys think? It only has (as you can see) 278 miles on a fresh rebuild. I'm also going to ask my mechanic who rebuilt it.

Thank You! Paul

gregar
Registered Member

Re: What now!!?

Post by gregar »

Throwout bearing ?

bmwhd1
Registered Member

Post by bmwhd1 »

gregar wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 12:44
Throwout bearing ?
That's my vote.
Todd

'70 Conv, 351C-4V, T5
Lone Star Cougar Club

AP_70_Cougar
Registered Member

Post by AP_70_Cougar »

If they have problems they just show up like this? I thought at least it would be from driving real hard but I've been babying her since the rebuild (278 miles ago). The highest RPM since the rebuild has been 2800. My mechanic said at 300 miles I could start to get into her a little more so these couple hundred miles have been VERY light. No dropping clutches, no burn outs, just nice and easy driving.

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 »

AP_70_Cougar wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:13
If they have problems they just show up like this? I thought at least it would be from driving real hard but I've been babying her since the rebuild (278 miles ago). The highest RPM since the rebuild has been 2800. My mechanic said at 300 miles I could start to get into her a little more so these couple hundred miles have been VERY light. No dropping clutches, no burn outs, just nice and easy driving.
PFFFFTTTTTTT!!!! Course problems can just show up. I popped my 302 after putting in a new trans, rearend, and throwout bearing, four years ago! STILL not running again. I was also just nice and easy driving, which made it all the more infuriating. If I'd been doing a big smokey burnout, it mighta been worth it! GAAAAH.....thought I'd moved past the mental anguish.....where's that shrinks phone number......
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

How do you know someone is a pilot? Easy! They'll tell you!

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

AP_70_Cougar
Registered Member

Post by AP_70_Cougar »

Not to throw a wrench into things here BUT, I've been doing some Google searching on my down time at work about this chatter. From what I have uncovered, if it is a TOB then it would make noise "as I'm pressing the pedal in", not while at idle in neutral.

I still have time to diagnose this. She's probably not waking up until late April/early May.

gregar
Registered Member

Post by gregar »

Yes, actually there's a recent thread about this with someone way more competent than myself explaining that it is more likely to be another bearing.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12110

catlover
Registered Member

Post by catlover »

One thing you could try is to check free-play, if TOB is touching the PP fingers, then you might get chatter.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

TheRktmn
Registered Member

Post by TheRktmn »

catlover wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 10:28
One thing you could try is to check free-play, if TOB is touching the PP fingers, then you might get chatter.
+1
Bob

CCOA Member #8195
'69 Cougar XR7, 460/C6. Caution: This car fitted with optional Caution Fan Sticker option!
Internet Rule #6: Never confuse post count with expertise

Tachometers, Voltmeters, Plug & Play Headlight and Horn relay kits and more modernized innovations at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations: http://www.rccinnovations.com

I am usually parked at The Curb: http://www.thecurb.org

AP_70_Cougar
Registered Member

Post by AP_70_Cougar »

catlover wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 10:28
And how would one do this - Jack stands and or ramps, getting underneath and feeling around?..lol No pun intended.