The Snowball Saga - '68 Standard Revitalization Project

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
BossElim69
Registered Member

Re: The Snowball Saga - '68 Standard Revitalization Project

Post by BossElim69 » 17 Aug 2012, 05:57

Upholstery work isn't something I like doing either. Headliners, vinyl tops and seat covers gets farmed out. I just don't have the nack either for making them turn out right. Nice to see you're making some good progress.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
69 standard convertible
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 30 Aug 2012, 17:39

Well, I've been somewhat tearing into the engine... got it separated from the trans and onto a stand. Have been taking off some of the components, getting ready to clean things up, replace what needs replacing and throw some paint on it. I just got a big box o' paint (all VHT products except for a couple cans of SEM Trim Black for when I do the grille and whatever else). From the research I did, I ended up getting "New Ford Blue" engine enamel, supposedly that's the right one. I almost got the "Dark" blue but it looks like that is actually too dark. Will post test pics soon. Also some Cast Iron grey high temp exhaust paint, some satin black "rollbar & chassis" paint which is supposed to be a nice durable finish (will be useful for a lot of things), and also some engine primer.

Getting close to getting the engine bay painted... think I'm going to go with the PPG DP90LF epoxy primer with a topcoat of DDL 9423, based on recommendations from you guys. Have to figure out how much to get and what other stuff I need to go with it (catalyst? reducer? hardener? I don't know much about paint....). I think I just need to enlarge the hole in the firewall for the addition of a brake booster (going to snag a complete PDB setup from a 70 Cougar, stay tuned) and maybe get some of the steering stuff out of the way.

Other coolness - found the engine tag, it was mounted on the oil dipstick tube nut.

And, not that I'm surprised, but it's very cool to know that your car has its original numbers-matching drivetrain:

Progress feels slow, but stay tuned for more updates! Thanks for the continued interest & advice.
Last edited by Blitz on 22 Jan 2016, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 31 Aug 2012, 09:24

Way cool. Progress is good, even when slow. Unless you're SeanD, anyway. LOL.

Car is coming along nicely!
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

How do you know someone is a pilot? Easy! They'll tell you!

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

Art
Registered Member

Post by Art » 31 Aug 2012, 10:04

Blitz wrote:.Have to figure out how much to get and what other stuff I need to go with it (catalyst? reducer? hardener? I don't know much about paint....).
For the primer you'll need a quart of paint and catalyst. Mixes 2/1. Lately I've been using the PPG "Shopline" paint, priced lower and I feel is still a top quality product. Comes in black and grey and I believe red oxide color.

Topcoating; First coat should be a "dusting" coat, transparent, not too thick. Second coat, a little thicker. On the last coat you want the first area you sprayed to still remain wet when you finish the last area. Last coat thick as possible without running.This way you minimize the overspray and all dries evenly without streaks. You select reducer by the temperature/humidity. Hot and dry you want a slower reducer, cool and humid you want a fast reducer.
Again, I like the Shopline paint for topcoating. A quart of paint, quart of reducer and a small bottle of hardener is all you need for the engine compartment.

Always spray a test panel to confirm the paint isn't too glossy or flat. Slower reducer will tend to add a little gloss.

I'm no expert but this is what I've learned over the years.
John A. Farr

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 10 Sep 2012, 10:52

Had to share some shiny objects... one of my favorite things about a restoration is taking something old and ugly, cleaning it up and giving it a good paint job to make it look brand new. Such was the case with my air cleaner and exhaust manifolds last week.

It turns out that I got the wrong blue, but I actually ended up liking it enough to keep it and use it. It's a darker, richer blue than the correct original one. I'll take a comparison shot at some point. But if you're looking for the correct original engine paint color, don't get "New Ford Blue" (VHT # SP138).

Here's my air cleaner, complete with new decals. Not sure if I used the correct Autolite parts sticker, but I chose that one because I thought it looked the best.

Did the inside and underside of the lid in black:

And here are the exhaust manifolds. Very happy with how these came out. They really do look like clean bare metal. I'm going to attempt to use the same paint on the rusty downpipes so they match.

That's pretty much it for now! Took out the steering box this weekend and it's pretty much shot. Luckily I know where to get a rebuilt one :D I have so much work to do on just about every part of this car, it's kinda hard sometimes to figure out what to do first. Oh well, it'll get there eventually!
Last edited by Blitz on 22 Jan 2016, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrew Chenovick

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 10 Sep 2012, 11:47

Nice!

Just keep plugging away, one piece at a time!
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

How do you know someone is a pilot? Easy! They'll tell you!

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 10 Sep 2012, 12:46

What type of paint did you use on the exhaust manifolds? Is it a heat rated paint. It looks great, I wish mine looked that good.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 10 Sep 2012, 16:59

1967 S Code wrote:What type of paint did you use on the exhaust manifolds? Is it a heat rated paint. It looks great, I wish mine looked that good.
Steven
Yep, I used VHT Flameproof paint in "Cast Iron" (their part # is SP998). Very happy with how it looks, hopefully it will stand the test of time. You do need to heat cure it, which you can do by running the engine for certain intervals of time. They outline the curing process on their website.
-Andrew Chenovick

RIDES:

BossElim69
Registered Member

Post by BossElim69 » 10 Sep 2012, 20:41

Usually the manifold paints don't last very long, only a few months at best. Ceramic coating works much better, but of course costs much more. The exhaust paints work better for the rest of the exhaust where the temperatures are lower.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
69 standard convertible
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 11 Sep 2012, 06:18

Looks great Andrew.

Plastikote 224 is a very good match for the original Ford Blue. I did a comparison with it and Duplicolor - forget the number - DE1606? but was also supposed to be Ford Blue for '69 (and?). The Plastikote was a much closer match (on an air cleaner lid).
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"