Hello all; the TMH Chicago Cat project

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Art
Registered Member

Re: Hello all; the TMH Chicago Cat project

Post by Art » 15 Jul 2014, 23:38

Usually when the PS belt is slipping it squeals. Some remans (Cardone) are just not up to snuff.
John A. Farr

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 16 Jul 2014, 09:16

It is normal to have to re-tension a belt, but not more than twice at the very most. Some belts don't squeal, some do. I have both power steering and alternator issues that turned out to be belt slip issues. Speaking from experience, you feel pretty stupid replacing an alternator and then noticing that the belt is so loose you can turn the pulley easily by hand..... It might be other issues, but checking the belt never hurts.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

tmh
Registered Member

Post by tmh » 27 Sep 2014, 13:12

I ended up needing to re tighten the hose connections, after being put through the paces some more leaking was going on. Tightened them all back down and now the leaking seems to be localized to the connection of the hose that sits the highest up on the control valve, the one that is the hardest to get to, the one that was leaking the worst before. But it's at least a slow leak right now, so I'm thinking I can wait until I'm gonna put the car down for winter and then drain the PS system and disconnect the hoses again so I can get better access to that one.

Something I don't think seems right-- when it's running and the pump is working etc, the steering is plenty easy, so I'm of the opinion that the pump is working at least somewhat. But the PS fluid has to be getting extremely hot-- the pump reservoir and control valve casing are hot to the touch and the metal PS line sections are very hot to the touch, which leads me to believe it's the PS fluid itself that is very hot. I've seen mention of PS coolers, so I know that's a thing... Is it normal for the PS components to get really hot? This ties back in with what I reported last time, the dipstick being very hot. Now I've confirmed it's pretty much everywhere in the system
'68 XR-7 J-Code C4, San Jose, Edelbrock 1406, PS, Front PDB, 8" rear 3.0, PS is leaky and sloppy, invisible fan shroud
'79 Bronco XLT 351m, C6, Edelbrock Performer 400 intake, Holley 6140, Howards cam, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, dana44 front and Ford 9" rear both 4.11 LSD, Warn hub locks, invisible fan shroud
'80 Suzuki GS750E 16V DOHC, looks about 6 months old
'13 Honda CR-V AWD

tmh
Registered Member

Post by tmh » 27 Sep 2014, 14:08

Also, here's some video of the PS system in operation. It's kind of what I expected, in that turning the wheels all the way left or right seems to be something that shouldn't be allowed to happen, puts a lot of strain on the whole system and even audibly bogs down the engine. Is this a sign of something wrong with the steering box? Or is that "normal"? I also really don't like the strain that turning puts on the hoses but I guess that's just how it is. Seems to me it would make a lot more sense if the metal section of the pump send and return hoses was about half as long as it is, would be a lot less strain on the rubber parts. But I ain't no automotive design engineer so I have to assume there's a reason they made em this way!

Video of PS in action

I hope this video doesn't distract anyone from reassuring me that the amount of heat my PS system experiences is normal. :)

Thanks guys
'68 XR-7 J-Code C4, San Jose, Edelbrock 1406, PS, Front PDB, 8" rear 3.0, PS is leaky and sloppy, invisible fan shroud
'79 Bronco XLT 351m, C6, Edelbrock Performer 400 intake, Holley 6140, Howards cam, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, dana44 front and Ford 9" rear both 4.11 LSD, Warn hub locks, invisible fan shroud
'13 Honda CR-V AWD

Art
Registered Member

Post by Art » 28 Sep 2014, 11:36

The metal part of your hoses should be clamped to your drag link. Check your assembly literature.
John A. Farr

tmh
Registered Member

Post by tmh » 01 Oct 2014, 23:46

Thanks for the heads-up Art! I don't have any literature, just bought a reman pump and a hose kit and the big-block style mount from WCCC which didn't come with any paperwork. As it was when I bought it, it didn't have the clamp you reference, and I tried searching the WCCC site and couldn't find it.
'13 Honda CR-V AWD